Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Choosing Which Coins To Get From A Ancient Greek Coin Lot.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  5:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Anthony Trollope to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone, first post here, I was wondering if I could get help in choosing 2 good Greek coins from these lots, I'll be spending $15 for them. In the first image I like the coin in the 2nd row on the left and the one on the 3rd row on the right, on the 3rd image I like the one in the 3rd row on the left side. I was wondering if these are good choices or if you guys see different coins that should be taken into consideration.

Also should I get the one in the 3rd image on the bottom left over the one in the 1st image second row on the left since it doesn't have a gash in the obverse?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4408 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Anthony.

I would recommend, if it's possible, that you isolate the images you are talking about so as to avoid confusion.

If I understand your description correctly, your first choice (2nd row on the left) is a semis from Carteia. The reverse legend is L.ATINI, below C. NVCIA.

Your second (third row on the right) appears to have a head of Herakles on the obverse and a rider on the reverse, with a reverse inscription at upper left. It may be Macedonian. Perhaps Kassander?

Your third selection (3rd image...the one in the 3rd row on the left side) is really hard to see...

Learn More...
United States
22569 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

I would choose any from the third row from the first image.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anthony Trollope to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here are the coins that I like that you requested individual images of.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5694 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As a piece of general advice (and please dont take this the wrong way) I would strongly suggest that you spend the $15 on one nicer bronze than two low grade ones. I would highly recommend our CCF member Louisvillekyshop AKA cody11111 on ebay. I believe he is still buying some ad space on this subforum?

Take it from someone who wasted a lot of money on barely-identifiable Greek bronzes... the difference between a $5-7 Greek bronze and a $15-30 Greek bronze is well worth the price difference!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
4408 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting those shots, Anthony. Still hard to make out the last one, at least for me. Perhaps a winged figure right for the reverse? Victory advancing? I might just be imagining that.

Third row, third image, likely a Poseidon with horse from Amphipolis, is a particularly nice one, imo.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
552 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fin235;

Very kind of you to mention me. The fact is the buyer needs to consider what he is interested in. What part of history he enjoys the most. Then he might know better what pieces he wants to focus on. As for me, when it comes to coins I can't even keep up and all dealers are like me, overwhelmed with inventory they have to go through. So Anthony, what part of history most interests you? What era are you most wanting to read about?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13090 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would strongly suggest that you spend the $15 on one nicer bronze than two low grade ones.

Welcome to CCF and I agree with this. There is no reason to bottom feed when nicer examples are available for only a little more.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15875 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$15 for two of the best is quite a good price.

You should go for the two that have the most detail on them. such that they can be most easily identified.

In my opinion, they are, in the first two pictures:
2nd row 3rd from left, and
3rd row 3rd from left.

Nevertheless, go for the two coins that you like. THEN, have lots of fun finding all you can about them, by any and all means at your disposal, which includes advice.

$15 not too much to risk, even without any ancient coin experience. In this case, and at this price level, go with your own 'gut' feeling.

Have a good think.

A 'gut' feeling and good calm thinking with circumspection will serve you well, if you go down the road of ancient coin collecting.

In this sort of circumstance, I still collect in this way.

However, lots of trusted advice, and lots of experience are even more critical, if you continue down that road.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A different circumstance:
My start into Greek ancients (my avatar), involved trust, but at the highest level possible. It was purchased directly from Spinks in London (arguably the most respected dealer in ancient coins in the World at the time), way back in 1981. I still have all of the purchase documentation to prove provenance.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anthony Trollope to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all your advice, I'm thinking I might spend the $15 on 1 coin, or ask about a different coin that I know he has that caught my eye. Also I like the history of the coins, but how I choose on whether to buy a coin is on its beauty.
Learn More...
United States
77182 Posts
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anthony Trollope to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decided to take your advice on buying one coin that is higher quality and I decided to get this one, I got it for $10 before shipping and taxes if anyone is curious.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
552 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are curious, your chosen coin is(in my opinion)

KINGS OF MACEDON. Perseus (179-168 BC). Ae. Uncertain mint in Macedon.
Obv: Head of the hero Perseus right, wearing winged Phrygian helmet.
Eagle standing left on plough, head right; to left, Nike with wreath and palm.
SNG Alpha Bank 1143.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1872577
Pillar of the Community
United States
3027 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be completely honest ....
This coin has corrosion and pitting that looks very much like bronze disease
It looks to me like it has gotten the $1 cure which removes most
But not all of the 'problem'
Keep an eye on it
If you see green fuzzies appearing on it then it's .....
Likely doomed
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05