Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 Nickel Dollar, Extra Line At Canoe Front

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2410 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  5:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
They're not listed so I've never noticed them before. These are on two different coins. It's the raised thing between the canoe bow and the second waterline - what are we seeing here?

Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 3 horizon varieties for the 1968 Nickel. One is normal variety and two are die polished/re-engraved.
Yours seems to be the Double Horizon Line #2 where top horizon only is re-engraved.
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless your talking about the island on the corner like a triangular?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2410 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry Coin-Flipper but your info is outdated. There is only two horizon line varieties. All 1968 nickel dollars have a doubled first horizon line - this was what DHL#2 used to refer to, before it was corrected to be a normal coin. The true extra water line variety (what DHL#1 referred to) has all the horizon lines doubled.

Yes, I'm referring to the triangular thing. Sorry if it was unclear!

SPP, question about the 2013 catalogue: how do you differentiate between Rev-004 (EWL) and Rev-005 ( DDR)? As far as I've seen, if there are extra water lines, the date (and other legends) would also be doubled and vice versa, so both of these would always be present on the coin.
Office of the Secretary
Learn More...
Canada
8607 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both Rev-004 and -005 are double die reverses. The classic "EWL" is the end-member, or the most extreme. You will see a strong gap between the waterlines, and a notching of the feather on the First Nation sitting in the front of the canoe for Rev-004.

You do have to be careful with strong Machine Doubling versus a DDR - look for the notching in the top of the 6 in the date, for a true DDR.

I wrote about this in the CN Journal some time ago. Send me a message and I'll send you a PDF copy.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8607 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The triangular thing is a mystery, you can also get a doubled island (which is not a DDR)... there are a ton of nuances with the 1968 nickel dollar, I just gave up trying to look so closely.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8607 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All 1968 nickel dollars have a doubled first horizon line - this was what DHL#2 used to refer to, before it was corrected to be a normal coin.

There are exceptions: the No Island variety, due to excessive over polishing of the die, usually has no doubled first horizon line.

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2410 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SPP! These are a strange series, some years are chock full of varieties and some years have none.
Office of the Secretary
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05