Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 "Buffalo" Nickel Heavy Toning - Artificial Or Natural?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  01:05 am Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know the scratches kill this coin, but where did this toning come from. It looks black in hand, but when the light hits it it becomes iridescent. Has anyone seen this look before? If so, what caused it?

I'm usually not much of a toning fan, but this one caught my eye. I also have an error 1992 Silver Eagle and an 1880-O Morgan with "Rainbow" toning that I really like.

I'm sure the scratches give it "details", but where would you grade this coin?

Click on the picture for a larger image.

Edit: Added "click" instruction.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Edited by Yokozuna
10/09/2019 11:36 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17351 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Details coins do not attain a numerical grade. This VF, details, damaged.

When you describe the surface of black with iridescent over that black it's the same effect achieved from gun blueing.

Scrappy coin, spray or brush, and you get what you have, I'm afraid.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18551 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure but does appear to be done with something by someone.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41271 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not natural.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11593 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really looks like AT . Some of the best NT Buffaloes don't even have all those colors . Sorry for bursting your bubble .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone. Yeah I knew a damaged coin wouldn't get a numerical grade. I just wanted to know the range it would fall in, so the VF is just what I was looking for. As for the toning, I've never seen ANY coin with this color, so I didn't expect it to be natural.

The gun blueing idea seems like it could be what's happened here. This was one of about 150 coins I bought in a cardboard box. Some were okay but most were like this. No protection from damage, silver with copper, etc. and not a 2 X 2 in sight.

T-BOP said...

Quote:
Sorry for bursting your bubble .

LOL! No bubble here. I think I paid 15 for this one!

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1146 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry guys but I have to ask. What makes you think that's AT. All the right colors in all the right places. How do you fake that? Just asking
Learn More...
United States
77153 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Asking if the toning is natural or artificial is pointless.

Ask if it is market acceptable or not. In other words, would you (or the market at large) pay (a premium) for it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
828 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
w/jbuck. Toning to most is environmental damage by one form or another, and the correct question is whether or not someone else will think the toning is pleasing or not. If you like it, the coin has found a home!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17831 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Artificial toning.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05