Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uncirculated Penny That Has Been Shellacked, So How Do I Remove It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
177 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  11:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just picked up a 1949 Canada Small Cent in nice BU Rec condition, except that it has been shellacked with varnish. How do I remove the varnish from the coin without damaging the BU Red surfaces? I know you can use alcohol and Acetone to remove varnish, but will those chemicals cause my con to turn brown? I will leave it shellacked if removing it will damage the red color.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29987 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% pure acetone?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11861 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone will not damage your coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
78471 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone should be safe to use.

I believe you should avoid using the acetone in direct sunlight if the coin is red uncirculated.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42245 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can be dissolved with denatured alcohol as well.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/10/2019 12:09 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8655 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toluene works too, and does not photochemically react with copper like acetone does.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
2598 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on whether the coin has been varnished or shellacked. They are different substances and require different solvents.

Varnish is removed by nonpolar solvents like toluene or mineral spirits, which you might already have around if you ever use oil based paints. I would start there.

If that doesn't work, shellac is removed by alcohols (methyl or denatured).

If acetone is a potential problem as mentioned, this sequence would avoid it.
Edited by tdziemia
10/10/2019 5:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for mentioning the photochemical breakdown of acetone on copper catalyst, SPP; this seems to be very new research I was not aware of https://www.researchgate.net/public...ne_on_copper
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18665 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you for mentioning the photochemical breakdown of acetone on copper catalyst, SPP; this seems to be very new research I was not aware of

I've heard this rumor in the past. I tried Acetone on Copper coins and in direct Sunlight. I've put Copper coins in a glass and even soaked it in direct Sunlight for days. Nothing happened at all. Of course the people that say this may be using a different Sun.
Just use pure Acetone and let us know how it worked out.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course the people that say this may be using a different Sun
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15939 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Toluene works too, and does not photochemically react with copper like acetone does.

But if you are not use to it the very strong odor of toluene is rather objectionable.

The reaction of strong sunlight and copper is real, but if you are able to read the report you will find they used very strong sunlight for an extended period and the resulting reaction products on the copper were microscopic. Yes the reaction can happen, but it really isn't something I would worry about. Oh and the test were run on pieces of copper with freshly exposed surfaces (think sanded).
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  10:52 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This may sound like common sense advice, but make sure to read all of the cautions on any of the chemicals listed above. These can cause not only health problems, but pose a potential fire or explosion risk as well. Don't take the warnings for granted. I had a next door neighbor use something they shouldn't have as a cleaner and caused a fire.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
2598 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@yokozuna, that is a VERY good point.

I know that writing in caps is rude, so I won't do that, but the risks are:
- all of the materials mentioned here are highly flammable!
- acetone has a very low flash point, which means even the air around it can ignite, if not used in a well ventilated space!
- toluene is somewhat toxic. It is the active agent that gets people high when they huff (sniff) glue. Overexposure can give central nervous system or respiratory issues.

Edited by tdziemia
10/11/2019 1:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The general definition for shellack is coated with varnish, I did not realize there was some other kind of coating out there. This is a clear coating that left a few bubbles and is pealing where it was not applied as well. At some points it is not clear and kind of a brownish color. The coin is a 1949 "A to Denticle" BU Red. Would it be better to leave it shellacked or to strip it off and encapsulate? How long must I let it sit before putting it inside a plastic coin protector with a foam insert? I am willing to leave it shellacked or varnished, as long as this will not damage the coin by leaving it that way. I also have thought about sending it into NGC to be graded and slabbed and I do not want it to come back cleaned or marked as being Laquered.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05