Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver 2015 JFK Presidential Dollar Coin

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  11:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JRT96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I work at a bank and get all kinds of cool coin all the time. Recently I got about $30 worth of nearly uncirculated gold Presidential dollars and some proof coins. In the mix was a 2015 JFK dollar that was silver instead of it's normal gold.

I have been having a hard time trying to find any information on this coin or similar coins. I do not have a scale that is precise enough to weigh the coin to see if the layer was added or if one is missing.

Any information you have on these would be appreciated.

The coin on the left is the JFK and the one on the right is just for comparison.

Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some odd proof strikes with various colors. And there are a few circulated for sale online that look silvery as if the gold coating wore off, but they have a fair bit of obvious wear. I found a few silver electroplated. But I haven't found anything that indicates they made a silver copy or a silver colored copy. ?! Hard to say.
Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being 3.5% manganese, these coins tend to exhibit many different shades. While most are dark this is the first I've heard, much less seen, a small dollar in what appears normal clad finish. Very interesting. Looking forward to some other thoughts on the matter.

Welcome to the forum! and thanks for sharing.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JRT96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to add it has a mint mark. Don't remember if it's a P or a D but it's not an S.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
660 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a pres proof that is frosted white, I will see if I can find it for you. However there is a small chance yours is on a quarter planchet, what's does it weigh and what does the edge look like?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JRT96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My postal scale isn't good enough to weigh it unfortunately. And the edge looks exactly like a normal one.

I also thought at first it was possibly on a quarter planchet but the condition is too good.

Here is a less than stellar image of the edge between other coins.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
660 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It kinda looks like it's been chromed.
How's his hair compare to this one?
http://goccf.com/t/357292

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JRT96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm out of town and don't have the coin on my but I don't think the hair is as defined as that one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The edge really makes me think that the coin has been plated and polished.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
660 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in that camp too
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately . Most likely an advertising gimmick or a "special" set of some type.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing it's probably something similar to this: https://www.collectorsalliance.com/..._p/29214.htm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JRT96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was guessing it was plated as well.

nfine, chances are that's what it was.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that sounds like a lot of work for a small profit. Is there really a big market for unpopular coins in another material?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jonnin said...

Quote:
that sounds like a lot of work for a small profit. Is there really a big market for unpopular coins in another material?

The market is Kennedy, not the coin.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Edited by Yokozuna
10/13/2019 09:34 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JRT96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking more, I'm sure it's that plated coin. Still cool and a good pickup for one dollar.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05