Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1970 S Nickel A Proof?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  7:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Velzee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all! I'm still beginning on nickels, and I've never seen a proof nickel in person before. I would like your opinion on this guy here (sorry for the possibly poor lighting, I'm still trying to get it right):

Thank you for your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
504 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no, the surface reflectivity is from something other than being a proof coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42235 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surely not a Proof.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
10/15/2019 9:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10220 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  02:07 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to have too much die wear for it to have been a proof. It looks like a beat up business strike that someone tried to polish. I suggest going to eBay and purchasing at least one modern proof nickel to know what it's supposed to look like. They're cheap:

The earlier proofs back into the 50s will be more expensive and are less likely to have "cameo" like the late-60s to present proofs have.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15939 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suggest going to eBay and purchasing at least one modern proof nickel to know what it's supposed to look like. They're cheap:

Make that two, one from the 60's and one from the 80's so you can see the difference between a brilliant proof and a cameo proof.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
10/16/2019 12:06 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05