Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Washington Crossing The Delaware Quarter Designs

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't expect much... stories going around the mint wants to do a big run-up to the 250th anniversary of the US in 2026 with various redesigns and special series before & after.

The story I read in CoinWorld said 4 years of animals (2022-2025) the 2026 specials and then 4 years of youth sports (2027-2030).

They haven't asked Congress for enabling legislation. There is also a bill before congress already for 14 years of famous women.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im totally behind 8. You guys know those hobo coins? This could very well make a GREAT pirate themed version.

Kidding aside, I like 6 maybe. It shows that many were involved, rather than the hero doing all the work aspects.

I'd like to see them use recycled materials to make them (the business strikes anyway) if they go for an overhaul. And I would really love to see moving away from the presidents back to artwork. Or a re-release of the early ones.
Edited by jonnin
10/17/2019 8:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15927 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing is the fact that they have gone to the trouble to work up these designs is a pretty good indicator the ATB series is ending and not getting a second run. even though there has been no announcement to that effect.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
7854 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's quite a few of them that I like, but I think that 6 is the best.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10183 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  03:45 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But surely not as bad as 10. I don't even understand what's going on there.

I now admit that I didn't know there were more designs beyond 9. Now that I know that and see them, my original opinion stands and 10 is slightly better than 8 in the "worst of" category.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16004 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In one way,
it seems that American quarter dollars are becoming like Roman coinage:
They carry a huge number of reverse designs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
594 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm torn .... I don't really care for all the different reverse designs. I think they went overboard. That said I do like the picture of Washington crossing the Delaware.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As usual, most of them will look better in line drawings with infinite shadings than on the coin.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently, the CCAC recommended design #12, per this CoinWorld article.
Edited by SilverRoosevelt
10/19/2019 5:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Per the article:

Quote:
The design CCAC recommends depicts Gen. Washington facing right standing in the bow of his boat, holding a small telescope in his left hand and with an extended sword in his right hand directing another boat containing Continental Army soldiers, as it passes between ice chunks in the river.

What part of that design gives any hint that Washington's on a boat?
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I can tell, we can see a very small part of the boat's starboard side between the R and T in "Quarter Dollar."
Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From what I can tell, we can see a very small part of the boat's starboard side between the R and T in "Quarter Dollar."
I think that's his sword -- it appears to be going under his coat.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think that's his sword -- it appears to be going under his coat.

He's holding his sword, so it would be the scabbard.

But I wasn't being (entirely) literal. The fact that people are having to parse a minute detail to justify the setting means the concept isn't clearly there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My take on this is quite simple. How many decades must we as a nation mourn the loss of five long deceased individuals? The cent through half are nothing more than monetized medals memorializing said individuals and not a nation as a whole. It's time to move on already.
Learn More...
United States
78272 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's truly remarkable is that by the time three or four dates of these are in circulation it will have been a quarter of a century since the last eagle reverse quarter of 1998...
Now that is something to blow ones mind.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05