Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1925 Gold Saint Gaudens - 35 Grams - Is It Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  9:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shannon7692 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have just received this St. Gaudens and my research shows this coin should weigh 33.436 grams. This coin weighs exactly 35 grams. Does this automatically mean its fake? Are there variances in the weight of this issue? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your scale is correct being overweight by a gram and a half, is a real bad sign that the coin is counterfeit. Your photos need to be orientated upright for viewing the coin. The date on the coin also appears off as the 5 is higher than the other numbers and the tail of the nine does not appear correct. It would help if your photos were larger and orientated correctly.

if you can, send the coin back for a refund. It looks like you have a counterfeit.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That weight makes the coin suspect. It's tough with sideways photos but I do see a lot more copper spotting than normal for this date.

What does the edge look like?

I agree that returning it is the safe thing to do.

Buy NGC or PCGS. They are no more expensive than raw.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16015 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Check your scales for accuracy.

2. The top of the '5' in the date looks to be suspiciously high, but we need close up pictures of the date to examine more closely.
Edited by sel_69l
10/18/2019 12:50 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42225 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pics needed, shown right-side up. This is important.

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shannon7692 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the comments. I have corrected the pics and included a magnified image of the date. Hope this helps. I have also included the best shot of the rim as I could. It is engraved with USA and I believe raised stars.

The middle does seem to show a strong copper tint. I did not purchase this guy it was given to me by my father so hope its real. Any other way to determine? THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin needs to be checked by a XRF analyze for metal content. At a coin show you can typically someone who has the XRF analyzer. If the coin checks out for metal content, then, send into a TPG for grading and authentication. The blow up photo of the date does not look bad and the copper tint could be toning. There are a number of fake gold coins made from real gold.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stop by your local coin shop and see if they have a Sigma Metalalycs Precious metal Verifier Pro. I'm sure they would have no issues testing it for you. Also throe it on another scale. Make sure they are calibrated correctly.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consequently you could just send it to PCGS or NGC and ask them to authenticate and grade it... it'll cost some money but you could ship it out from a reputable coin shop.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05