Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

E-z-est Cleaner - Is It Meant For Clad Coins?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  09:11 am Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am I doing something wrong?

When I dip modern U.S. Clad coins (quarters, halves, etc.) in E-Z-Est, The coin looks great, but a couple weeks later, brown spots/staining appears.

After I dip in E-Z-Est, I dip and rinse in distilled water (twice) and dap with soft towel and let air dry before storing the coin.

Some coins get the spots/stains later, and some do not.

I have not noticed this with silver content coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15922 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do a MUCH more thorough rinsing, you are still leaving traces of the dip on the coins.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18637 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just do not use that stuff on any coins and no more problems.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13488 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jc, I was thinking the same thing. @co, please consider not cleaning your coins in any way.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  09:47 am  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the words of wisdom, everyone!

When I dip coins, maybe I'll use two rinsing bowls.

I have dipped Ike dollars from mint sets that were very, yellowed. Halves, as well. I can't settle for the yellowed coins. Gotta dip!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4293 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try an acetone dip.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  09:55 am  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I often do acetone, first, to get rid of PVC and dirt, etc.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That stuff strips the infinitesimally tiny metal "fish scales" from the surface of a Coin. Any coin.

That can't be restored.

You are damaging your coins regardless of how they look afterwards.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2573 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In particular, nickel is not anywhere near as resistant to acid as metals like copper, silver or gold.

I would be surprised if this product is intended for use on cupronickel coins.
Learn More...
United States
78214 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be wrong, but I do not think it is. I think cleaning silver is its main objective.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, All, for chiming in!

I realize that cleaning coins is a big taboo with many of you. I also realize that cleaning / dipping coins and expecting the Graders not to notice is fruitless. I wouldn't clean any coins that I would intend to send to Graders.

A coin shop owner told me that he used "Jewel Luster" on a silver Canadian coin for my collection. It turned out nice for my purposes. I searched for "Jewel Luster" and found only references towards E-Z-Est. Same thing?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2531 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I searched for "Jewel Luster" and found only references towards E-Z-Est. Same thing?

Yes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15922 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I dip coins, maybe I'll use two rinsing bowls.

That would help but it won't completely solve the problem. The problem with "rinsing bowls" is that the coin carries dip on it with dissolves into the first bowl, but when the coin is removed it still carries a diluted solution of dip on it. Even if you use a second bowl, when you remove the coin is STILL has a further diluted solution of dip on it. As the water evaporate the dip concentration left on the coin increases and will eventually cause damage. It would take longer with two rinse bowls than with one but it will still happen. You need to do a final FLOWING rinse where the water is poured over the coins and flushes the diluted dip solution away. (Do two flowing rinses with a repositioning of the coin between rinses to make sure dip isn't trapped around whatever you are using to hold the coin while rinsing.) Remember when using dip RINSE RINSE RINSE!

Frankly I would forgo the rinsing bowls completely and substitute two flowing rinses for each of them. This makes a total of at least six flowing rinses.

I also like a final flowing rinse with pure acetone to act as a drying agent to remove the water rather than trying to dry the water off or letting the water air dry. The flowing acetone will dissolve the water and carry most of it off, the last traces will be widely dispersed in the acetone still on the coin and will be carried off with the acetone as it evaporates over the next few seconds. (Which is MUCH faster than it would dry if you just left the water alone.)
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
10/22/2019 1:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Check CarlOmaha's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarlOmaha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Gary! Thank you so, so, much!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12548 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a side note on clad coins you can try MS 70 as well depending on what you're trying to get off. That works very well on clad
Pillar of the Community
United States
2573 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A quick search on MS 70 shows bottles that proclaim it does not contain acid, so indeed, it is likely to be safer on clad.

The very short answer to the title of the thread is No. Dilute sulfuric acid (which is what E-Z-Est is) can dissolve nickel. Don't use it on clad.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05