Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dont Laugh. I Found This Beautiful 1975 D Penny Stuck To Some Old Mail

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
173 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this affixed to some 40yr old unopened mail at mamaws house! Hahaha! I remember as a kid they would put this in junk mail as a promotion. I was kinda shocked at the condition of it. What an unlikely source for a probable mint state coin of over 40yrs. Have you guys found coins in strange places?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29924 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you guys found coins in strange places?

Is under a toilet a strange place LOL. The coins were being used as shims. I think there is a thread here on CCF about this subject.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use some pure acetone to remove the adhesive on the reverse. Spray with pure water thoroughly then air dry. That should take care of that reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1342 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best coin I ever found was in a box of Cheerios, but I was actively searching for it at the time.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you guys ever heard of the old tradition in building homes where they would take a coin of every denomination of the year built and bury at the cornerstone for luck? Most all old homes have it. I just thought it was funny to find such a nice coin in junk mail. I had forgotten companies did this back in the 70-80s
Learn More...
United States
78272 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  02:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who is "mamaws"?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29924 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who is "mamaws"?
Grandmother or mother.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
594 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The real question is .... Was the mail from 1975 too?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11830 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once found a Quarter at the bottom of the flush tank of my toilet . Still can't figure out how it got there .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15927 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I remember as a kid they would put this in junk mail as a promotion.

They still do.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They attach pennies to junk mail to get noticed. I guess it works as we are still talking about it 40+ years later.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16056 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so mamaw is a term us southerners use to call a grandmother hahaha, and yes that mail was from 1975! She doesn't throw anything away. I found some green stamps and even ration booklets tucked away. Heck she even has old encyclopedias before certain elements and islands were discovered
Learn More...
United States
78272 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05