Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Women's Suffrage Commemorative Silver Dollar

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1594 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First link, I like obverse #8, then 2 and 4; reverse #4 or 7.

Second link, obverse #1, 6, maybe 3; reverse #3A or 5.

Some interesting choices, but I'm not a fan of so many words and some of the designs don't depict a very strong meaning.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1135 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here are a few links to current design candidates for the 2020 Women's Suffrage medal and coin:

These designs are for the medal only. They might be modified for the commemorative dollar coin, or other totally different designs may be proposed. I'm hoping for new designs, as IMHO these are fairly mundane.

If I'm reading the Coin World article correctly, it looks like the CCAC recommended designs H-O-1 & H-R-3 or 4 from the historic designs and M-O-1 or 1a and M-R-8 from the modern designs. AFAIK there will only be one medal, so it's unclear to me why the designs were separated into historic and modern categories, although I suppose that Sec Mnuchin could authorize two medals (or a hundred for that matter since these things aren't authorized by legislation )
Edited by BadDog
11/13/2019 08:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the designs posted on the Mint's web site are presented as being for the silver medal, but the two Coin World articles also discuss the possible use of the modern designs for the potential silver dollar.

From the October 27th Coin World article:

Quote:
Mint spokesman Michael White said designs with historic imagery will appear on the silver medal. The imagery symbolic of the modern women's movement is being considered in anticipation of the coin legislation being passed, White said.

Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  09:55 am  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because many of the women during the suffrage movement wore bonnets, I believe the proposed commemorative silver dollars should be domed like a hat.
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe the proposed commemorative silver dollars should be domed like a hat.

Now introducing the first wearable coin!
Learn More...
United States
81250 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here are a few links to current design candidates for the 2020 Women's Suffrage medal and coin:
Interesting. I generally dislike designs with people on them, but of course they will pick one of those.

Quote:
Because many of the women during the suffrage movement wore bonnets, I believe the proposed commemorative silver dollars should be domed like a hat.
No.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1135 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, the designs posted on the Mint's web site are presented as being for the silver medal, but the two Coin World articles also discuss the possible use of the modern designs for the potential silver dollar.

this is what I said earlier, they might be modified for the coin, but IMHO it would be extensive modification. It would have to include

Quote:
(2) DESIGNATIONS AND INSCRIPTIONS.—On each coin minted under this Act, there shall be—
(A) a designation of the value of the coin;
(B) an inscription of the year ''2020''; and
(C) inscriptions of the words ''Liberty'', ''In God We Trust'', ''United States of America'', and ''E Pluribus Unum.''
as required by the authorizing legislation.

The CCAC recommended designs are already quite detailed and it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of room for the required items to be added, but I suppose the Mint engravers could shoe horn them into the recommended designs somehow. I'm still hoping for new designs
Learn More...
United States
81250 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will not bother to create a list, but there are only a few that I really dislike.

I can imagine much worse.

However, I can also imagine new designs that are even better than the ones I really like.
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2019  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trump quote: "I'm curious why wasn't it done a long time ago? And also, I guess the answer to that is because now I'm president, we get things done."

Don't mean to be political, but that is objectively funny.
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It also appears likely that the Mint will issue a coin and medal set next year in the same style as the one it did for the American Legion this year... I'd be a buyer of the set if it gets produced.

Quote:
As would I. I really like this idea because I really like my American Legion silver coin and medal set.

I will definitely be in for another coin and medal set in 2020 because I'm very happy with my American Legion one. Unlike this year, however, I'll have to resist the urge to also buy the individual uncirculated dollar.

Although the pair do look quite nice together...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think mellamobradley46's post was triggered by this, but just in case not...President Trump signed this commemorative coin bill into law on November 25th (Monday of this week). It's a go for 2020!

Learn More...
United States
81250 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1437 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a reference here are two UK coins related to voting - 2003 Suffragettes coin (Woman's Vote) and the 2018 People's Act coin.

So I am hoping the US Mint ends up producing a coin that is different from either of these.
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Learn More...
United States
81250 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a reference here are two UK coins related to voting - 2003 Suffragettes coin (Woman's Vote) and the 2018 People's Act coin.
Very nice!

Quote:
So I am hoping the US Mint ends up producing a coin that is different from either of these.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05