Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 S Morgan Dollar Error/Variety...vam World Let Me Down. Can You Help?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  10:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jordon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had an interesting pickup on a not so rare coin that is unlike anything I've seen. I believe these are die polishing lines. It definitely looks like a mint issue, not post mint but who am I to know for sure. Can anyone point me to a place where I can figure out what VAM # this is? If this is a new discovery who can I show it to get it on the VAM list?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
30032 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I think you are going to need to post up close photos.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and also its about time you posted on here.
Saves me from posting for you
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jordon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try to get better photos when I get home.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2777 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pictures will definitely help. I'm thinking planchet flaw from what I am seeing with these pictures. Never seen a polish job like that on a Morgan.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9054 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with planchet flaw. The image is a bit blurry but it does resemble roller wheel marks.

Out of curiosity, how did VAMworld let you down?
Member SSDC, TNA
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jordon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I got some good up-close photos. I also found the die filing is also in the right side of the eagles wing just a little bit.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2777 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jordan,

With the close-ups I'm going with a lamination error. There's no way a mint engraver would do that to a working die . unless they were extremely disgruntled and seeking new employment outside the U.S. government. I do not believe it's PMD as the devices are not affected.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jordon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SeatedNut, I appreciate your thoughts. I would agree that this would be a very poor polish job if that was in fact what it was. I have never seen a planchet flaw like this but then again there is a lot I have not seen.

@Dave700X, VAM world didn't really let me down. I rely on them frequently and usually I can find what I'm looking for from them.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05