Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1987-P Roosevelt Dime In Mint Packaging

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  03:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wilsonan2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently received this as part of a purchase on ebay. On top of it being in great condition (I'd guess around a MS68+, what's your thoughts?) It looks like it's been double struck. I'm newer to collecting and know very very little on errors though so what do you guys think? Is it worth having it graded and holding onto/selling or should I leave it in the packaging and put it away?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2288 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need better photo's to grade the coin correctly.

Also, getting MS-68 would be pretty impossible. Modern coins aren't exactly so easy to find top grades. If you look at the values of MS-67 to MS-70 coins, they're usually in the thousand dollar range.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wilsonan2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I will post some better pictures soon. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1598 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  07:42 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

with solotime. While there's always a chance, keep in mind that only 16 of the 762,709,504 minted 1987-P Dimes have been graded MS-68 by PCGS and NGC. Even with a grade of MS-68 a pair of '87-P dimes sold at Heritage just this year for $74 and $114. That means the owners of the coins got about $55 and $95 for the coins, respectively. They also had to pay grading fees, shipping/insurance and may have had to pay Heritage up to 10% on each of the coins on top of that. I'm not saying anything against Heritage. I think they are one of the best sources for trading high grade rare coins. It's just the nature of coin collecting.

With the Top Pop 1987-P Dime trading at this low of a price, it must not have a very big demand.

Edit: Added information.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Edited by Yokozuna
11/13/2019 07:44 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1679 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is that this date dimes comes very nice and MS-66's abound. This means there is an ample supply of nice Gems of the date which distracts from the demand for very high grades.

I can't tell from the photo but my gut tells me you have a nice MS-67 which is too low to warrant the cost of grading. It must have Full Bands to even consider and I can't tell from the photo if it does or not.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16016 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any evidence of a double striking.
Gary Schmidt
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wilsonan2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101 I know the pictures aren't the greatest. I'll have some better ones in about an hour. But look at the top of the "O" in One on the reverse and around the left side of the boarder on both the obverse and reverse. Once again I know the pictures aren't the greatest those were just two of the more pronounced areas I was noticing something off.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wilsonan2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Once I get new pictures I'll get them posted.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16016 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell anything about the O, and the left rims are showing finning from slightly misaligned dies plus a good strike.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
11/14/2019 5:05 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05