Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Types Of Wood Are Safe For Coin Storage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CA_Coin_Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am building a cabinet to store my coins, what sort of wood should I avoid? I know oak and evergreens should be avoided since they tone coins black. But are there any other types of wood I should avoid? I have been thinking of using Russian birch plywood since I found nothing about it being harmful.

Thanks for the help!
Learn More...
Canada
8781 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ultimately, it's the humidity that is most important factor to control, not necessarily the wood. Maybe build in a vented place in the cabinet to keep larger silica gel desiccant packs, and so you can easily swap them out.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1756 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't use plywood of any type - since you don't know what glue has been used and also because it may warp.

Don't use sappy wood.

Most antique coin cabinets are made of African mahogany.

This wood database may help. https://www.wood-database.com
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Learn More...
United States
81003 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most antique coin cabinets are made of African mahogany.
My Lighthouse slab box is Mahogany. Or so it says on the box is shipped in. I assume if were not safe, they would not use it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2318 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  10:57 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3661 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  11:13 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your biggest concern is what's called 'off gassing'. This is a slightly different situation but I was commissioned to build some archival storage/display cases for some old business ledgers and an antique bottle with the label still on. My customer said they wanted walnut wood unfinished for this purpose. (I would assume a finish like urethane, etc. would seriously off gas for years.) I believe walnut has a fairly neutral pH so should be safe for any intended long term storage projects.

Edit: I just read Wade's link. Looks like mahogany is the way to go.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
11/14/2019 11:17 am
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wood cabinet sounds very nice. on the other end of the storage spectrum is is bad idea to store coins in cardboard box or those large plastic bins with covers? Are there issues with plastic and cardboard to store collections? thanks
Learn More...
United States
81003 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
652 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the 35mm slide boxes to store my coins!

1. Cheap ($15-$28 on eBay)
2. Holds 150
3. Can be different collections In Each box
4. Love the handle to carry
5. Closes securely
6. Pre slotted for 2X2 cards
7. Usually comes with an index card you can write what each card is to corresponding slot
8. No humidity issues

Edited by Sarge50
11/14/2019 12:11 pm
Learn More...
United States
81003 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05