Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1948 Lincoln Penny / 1943?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 282Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  02:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wmcgrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have a 1948s penny that looks to be printed over a 1943 d. Can clearly see a 3 under the 8. I know it's possible, but highly improbable.
Even if so, the odds of me pulling it out of circulation today are laughable, to say the least. Hence my skepticism. Could this actually be authentic? If so, is this the first one to surface? Its difficult to see, but the 3 is slightly raised beneath the 8. Apologies for the poor photos. Will post better ones as soon as possible.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3193 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta see a clearer close-up of the date. I have never heard of such a wide gap in overdates, and even then its a rarity. One I'm personally familiar with is the 1942/over 41 Mercury dime. Please try to get better photos for us, otherwise we would just be guessing, and if I had to guess, I'd say your cent has some sort of post mint damage to make it appear to be 8 over 3.
and
to CCF!

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49509 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems improbable for sure. The 1943-D would have been a steel planchet. Much better pics, please.

to the CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 282Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05