Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gifting Coins/Bullion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 566Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  12:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm 69 and have 4 grandchildren ranging in age from 6 weeks to 7 years old (2 boys and 2 girls). I have made it practice that when they're born they get a tenth ounce gold eagle. For their first Christmas they receive a $5 gold liberty. Subsequently for each birthday and Christmas they get a 5 oz. ATB silver coin. I know there are probably many here that do something similar. Are the recipients appreiative, or would they rather have Legos (I get them toys as well)? Has anyone perhaps ever had a grandkid (or offspring for that matter) who turned 18 or so and said, "Gee thanks pop, I cashed in those Kruggerands and bought my car!!"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3972 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your question looks very familiar again.
My opinion is that you are wasting your money.
They may appreciate the coin for the moment, but will forget it quickly.
The young (and older) couldn't care less. You'd be better off giving gift certificates or cash.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
Canada
479 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very nice of you. It sounds like you would like your grandkids to have a sizable amount once they turn 18 so they can use it to make a large purchase.

I would suggest investing in low cost ETFs instead. They are not as pretty as coins but most likely will appreciate much more in value. Also, with coins, it puts the burden on their parents to keep track of them all and keep them safe. It then puts the burden on the grandkids to find the best way to sell them, which is not always easy without taking a big haircut.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19348 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I USED to give a Proof set or Uncirc set plus a Red Book to as many as 14 people each Christmas. I stopped that a few years ago. Most eventually told me they simply sold them to a coin store. Most just threw away the Red Book too. Out of all those people that I did that for, none ever took up coin collecting. All would have probably wanted a computer type game or just cash.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to clarify, my intent is not to turn my grandkids into coin collectors, it's more like what Cdncoins has described. I'm thinking about the time they turn 18 they'll have around $5k to help with college expenses, or perhaps buy a car, or whatever. I like the idea of metals because they're harder to convert to cash, so it still might be around when they really need it.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right now my daughter tells me the thing my 7-year old grandson likes best is the challenge of opening the package. I usually get the coinage from APMEX and they package pretty securely.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to go with Cdncoins. There are better ways to do it. As a grandparent you should be able to contribute to their 529 account (if memory serves me right).
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your interests are not necessarily their interests.
Give them exposure and if you see an interest, then help them along but otherwise, assume your giving the coins is akin to a beloved grandmother giving you Hummel figurines, in the hopes that you'll start collecting. You'll just wind up with a bunch of unwanted junk that will be sold.

If the goal is to give them money or something that will likely grow in value, consider an index fund or something that pays dividends and that will reinvest for a decade or so. Historically, metals are terrible performers relative to pretty much everything other investment vehicle.
Edited by Gold
11/17/2019 4:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1988 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to adopt me, I'll gladly take the coins :)

My brother used to give my kids US saving bonds, the kids were like ok, Well now they are worth over $1000 for each kid and they aren't getting the money until they graduate college. Consider it a graduation gift. When the kids need the money they will appreciate it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1024 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When my niece and nephew were born I contemplated doing something like this each year. I decided against it because my brother and his wife are going to have to drag it all around for the next 18 years and quite likely misplace them or just sell them immediately and they won't be there 18 years later.

I bought a birth year mint set for each of them. Since then it's been whatever their parent say they need or something the kids want. This year it's a play station gift card so the boy can buy some stuff in game and the girl, she like cash because she impulse buys where ever she's at and when she sees something she wants and likes yeah. She's not a junk collector necessarily but picky and doesn't like girly things but when something catche's her eye she's gotta have it.

Anyways. I think had I done silver Eagles or gold coins they'd pile up and be forgotten, stolen, lost or left behind, or money gets tight and my brother who would be the caretaker would run them off to the "we buy gold" people.

It's a nice idea, just a lot can happen in 18 years. There's safer ways of planning for the future for them so that it will be around when they come of age even setting them aside for them yourself and gifting it to them on graduation at least then you have more control over it until the time comes.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 566Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05