Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

St Gauden's Double Eagle - Some Information

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  12:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Talc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,

My mother passed away earlier this year and on looking through her things I found a 1927 St Gauden's double Eagle. I attach a photographs below (please excuse me I used an i-phone which I admit is not the best camera but what I had on me)

I am not a US Citizen and neither was my mother (actually we are/were both British). However my mother was raised in Belgium by foster parents when she was a small child during the second world war. I believe that her foster father was an industrialist (electronics) and my mother inherited the coin when her foster mother died

I don't know whether the coin was used as part of my foster grandfather's business or was something they bought as an investment. I don't even know what a $20 US gold coin was doing in Belgium

I would like to know a few things, What condition it is in (looks mint to me), whether I should encapsulate it and if so with whom.

Many thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a high mintage coin which has value slightly over bullion, unless it's in a very high mint state. The weight should be exactly 33.4 grams. They were readily available all over the world.

The value of sending it to a TPG would be mainly for authentication.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20201 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/360462 One topic per coin please.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05