Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With ID Please - Cool Looking Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add xoduspbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've not seen one like this before. It has latin, so I want to assume it's Roman, but I've not seen one without a bust before. VIC AVG, but what victory and who was the AVG? Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this mystery for me ;)

Pillar of the Community
United States
938 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a mid 1st century pseudo-anonymous issue similar to this: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4956264

A quote from the link:

"From a European collection acquired before 2010.This coin was struck to commemorate the battle of Philippi of 42 BC, fought between Brutus and his Republican allies against Marc Antony and Octavian. While it was a decisive defeat for the Republicans, the Civil Wars continued for a further twelve years, only ending with the deaths of Antony and Cleopatra. This type must have been issued in quite considerable numbers. It is dated to the period of Claudius and Nero since it is made out of copper rather than bronze; pure copper coins only came into use at Philippi beginning with the reign of Claudius. It would be interesting if this issue was struck to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the battle and of the foundation of the Roman colony: that took place in AD 58"
Edited by Biancasdad
11/19/2019 12:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xoduspbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks BiancasDad! This is exactly it. Wow, what cool history to go along with it. Thanks so much for helping me :)
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2859 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This example seems cruder than the linked Nomos specimen, but maybe that is just because it's so worn. Certainly all the legends match.

Apparently the victory was Philippi and the AVG was Octavian.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xoduspbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. I forgot Octavian was with Marc Antony first to route Brutus too. I always remembered Octavian against Antony, but that was only during the fall of the second triumvirate. This got me excited to reread that legacy, thanks again!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05