Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Probus Antoninianus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4037 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  7:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not in great condition, but I liked the equestrian motif on the reverse. Roughly 22 mm in diameter. I have it as RIC 157, struck in Rome (mint mark "R crescent Γ").

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
3045 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  02:13 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No not in great condition
But not bad either
I see a reasonable amount of silvering beneath some of the surface grime
Try a long bath in distilled water after an overnite soaking in acetone
You might be pleasantly surprised
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
4730 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool reverse indeed! I think that one may be a good candidate for some gentle cleaning as well!
Valued Member
Canada
61 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2019  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Claudius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin... I am including a link to a very interesting little article on the "Adventus"
coinage types of Probus. I think you may enjoy it:

https://coins.www.collectors-societ...px?sc=355813

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1713 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that it is a Gamma in the exe. I think it is a Cursive DIGAMMA also called STIGMA as on my example:-

Probus
Obv:- IMP PROBVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:- ADVENTVS AVG, Emperor on horseback left, raising hand and holding a sceptre, squashed captive underfoot
Minted in Rome (R crescent S) Emission 4 Officina 6. A.D. 279
Reference:- RIC 157 Bust type F

A Gamma example is like this one of mine:-

Regards,
Martin
Edited by maridvnvm
11/29/2019 05:10 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4037 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Try a long bath in distilled water after an overnite soaking in acetone
You might be pleasantly surprised

Did so, to no appreciable effect, unfortunately.

maridvnvm - those are lovely specimens!

Colligo ergo sum
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05