Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 Canadian Dime Error Wrong Planchet

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  6:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ranger10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I found this coin in pocket change a few years ago and I've held on to it for some time. From what I can deduce, the coin is either a fake dime or a wrong planchet error coin. Here are the specifications of the dime and photos. Please tell me what you think. How would I go about authenticating it? Any help is appreciated.

Specifications:
Diameter: 17.5-18mm depending on which way the coin is rotated.
Thickness: 1-1.5mm
Magnetic: No
Weight: 2.30 grams
Reeding is present on 50% of the edge.
There are lines radiating towards the edge of the coin on the obverse side from the letters R,E,I,N,A.

I believe that this may be the planchet for a foreign currency or the center of a toonie.

Edited by Ranger10
11/20/2019 7:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
744 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting should be magnetic for sure I'll wait for the experts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2594 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or the center of a toonie.
toonies weren't produced until 1996, so unless the core jumped into a time machine, it can't be the blank used on your coin..

There could be other reasons, but a toonie core would not be a reasonable option here...
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ranger10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
toonies weren't produced until 1996

Shows how much I know. I looked into foreign planchets, but nothing was the right size or weight.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
737 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it might be struck on a copper-nickel Barbados 10 cent planchet (weight 2.26 grams), which the RCM minted for Barbados in 1995.

The planchet diameter is 17.8 mm, smaller than a 1995 dime planchet (18.03 mm), so that would explain why the design doesn't quite fit on your coin.

However, that doesn't explain the odd colour (bronze/brass?), as copper-nickel planchets should look like, well, a nickel...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4385 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First you need to xray the coin, an XRF to find it's composition.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
737 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to include my source...

http://www.coinscan.com/for/bar.html
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ranger10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Argentina also has a 10 cent piece that was minted from 1992-2006 and weighed 2.25g and had a diameter of 18.2mm. It was made of aluminum/bronze. I cant tell if it was minted at the RCM during this time (1992-2006). They switched to brass plated steel after 2006.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2214.html
Edited by Ranger10
11/20/2019 10:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
737 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RCM only struck coins for Argentina in 1992 (and the one Peso coin in 1995, but that doesn't match your coin).

However, it can't be an Argentinian 10 cent planchet, as they were 18.5 mm, larger than a 1995 Canadian dime planchet (18.03 mm).

Firstly, it wouldnt fit in the striking chamber, and it if did (i.e., the collar was disengaged), you would see the entire design on the planchet.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ranger10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm out of ideas.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4385 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to a large gold, silver buyer or coin dealer with an XRF, once it gets zapped you can narrow your search
Pillar of the Community
Canada
737 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully SPP can chime in here...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2411 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$2 coins were struck starting November 1995, so it's not impossible. 1995 pennies struck on toonie cores exist. I can't find what toonie cores weigh, though.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1414 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  03:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly struck on toonie core. But get this to SPP ASAP.

Look at this toonie core ERROR collection:

https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/co...lanchet/3537

Edited by canadian-varieties
11/21/2019 03:13 am
Learn More...
Canada
8691 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  03:44 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI - production of toonies dated 1996 commenced in November of 1995. An XRF would help.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
79417 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05