Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Steel Penny Legit ('43)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  1:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have seen a number of references here an online about steel pennies being re-coated in zinc?
I have a set of 3 (each mint) that are 'proof like' or really high AU estimate quality, all the zinc remains, still mirror shiny (which is causing me a LOT of trouble trying to take a usable photo!!).

What would I look for to know if they were tampered with? Pretty sure these would have been bought before 1995 as they have been in our collection for that long or longer.

Here is one starter image. I am working on trying to get a usable full coin shot of at least one of them.

Edited by jonnin
11/22/2019 2:27 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20192 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since they were never mirror shiny to begin with, they are likely recoated especially in you found them in a set of 3. That's exactly what they do.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So a high quality legit one would be dull? Even with all the zinc intact?
And a re-coated one would have high details, like the wheat lines and hair etc?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30366 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jonnin,
Your coin looks replated to me. Here is an example of a MS67https://www.ebay.com/itm/1943-S-Lin...AOSwWq9d1blw
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20192 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like someone took a pair of wire cutters to that one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42715 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have been re-processing steel cents for at least 50 years, probably longer.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I can agree to that.. a number of things didn't add up about the little set. And yea something got a piece of it on the top edge.

I would still like to know if there is a 'safe way' to spot a legit one (or a tell for an altered one?) apart from it being slabbed? I'd like to pick up a decent set, Ive got hundreds of heavily worn ones.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
30366 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One way to tell is to look at the edge,it should be dull and unplated even on a genuine one. If it is shiny like the obverse and reverse it is for sure replated.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good to know. Yea, this set have the shiny edge too, though I think we already knew about these its good to have another data point.
Thanks everyone!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18723 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is becoming more and more difficult to tell an original from replated. The replaters are getting better and better at it. I have well over 4,000 of those things. I also have several rolls of replated ones. Some are done in Zinc, some in Tin or Chrome and some even in Copper. I only have 3 of the Copper ones but would like to find more of those.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05