Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893 Columbia Exposition 1/2 Dollar ( Novelty Or Forgery Or Genuine )

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 599Next Topic  
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pndedy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey folks,
Was wondering if anyone has come across a fake 1/2 dollar Columbia Expo 1/2 $ in their travels ?
The "bubbles" are making me think fake.
I found this example metal detecting , it is the exact size as the "real" one I have in my collection.
When "dropped" is sounds tinny ?
Thank you..

Learn More...
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pndedy, could you please post the weight of the bubbly one? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pndedy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence,
Sadly I haven't a scale for coins. I'm going to get one.
Learn More...
United States
87665 Posts
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pndedy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence,
Here are the weights of the 2 coins.
The Columbian 1893 is supposed to be 12.5 grams.

Edited by pndedy
12/02/2019 7:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2899 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
acidic soil, slightly under weight..
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pndedy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silverwolf,
Thanks, thought maybe a fire..
Learn More...
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok very interesting then. The diameter and thickness look pretty much spot on, right?

Consider bringing this to a jeweler or pawn ship to get the alloy read non-destructively.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pndedy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,
thickness, diameter & embossing are all spot on.
Letters and numbers are all crisp..
Just those bumps everywhere ?
It has me wondering as well.
Thanks for your input..
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 599Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05