Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1925 Stone Mountain 50c Commemorative. Stunning Tone/Detail. Grade.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,127Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  9:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Won this in auction. I think it is a stunning specimen IMO. In hand even better as usual. Iridescent colors not as prominent in pictures. Anyway...grades welcome and any comments. Thx

Edited by BuyGuns
12/01/2019 9:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7375 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm. I would have guessed a bit higher, but it would not be surprising as I am sure there are things we don't see that experts do. And of course those of you who have been here a while. Ok grape. Thx
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58. I see a tad of friction.
Beautiful coin Sir.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I just went to the Heritage Auction site to see some AU50's samples. I think you guys are right. Save the tone which gives it nice Eye Appeal, the technical grade looks to be like those samples.

Looking at the extreme....the MS68's (which are few), I see similar toning, but only marginally different technical differences, such as a few dings on my sample. Maybe some wear here and there (friction?). But that's probably what makes the difference, and what professionals can see with tools at their disposal.

But I have concluded I will never know enough (training/time) to make an accurate expert determination. Seen coins I could not understand the high grade. And coins I could not understand the low grade.

I am just glad to have this coin @ $54 won in auction. Beautiful in hand and will be a nice addition to the collection. Wife thinks it's spectacular and said hold on to it (That's good she is interested/excited...). Yup. ok Thx.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17266 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite acceptable tone, as seen in the pictures.
The toning however, may? obscure any very slight wear, that prevents me from deciding:
AU58? or MS61?

Very desirable coin, anyway.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35465 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just throwing this out there,DO NOT DO IT.
If you have a nice eye appeal toning on a coin,does it continue toning over time into something that will lose it's current eye appeal? Can you do an acetone treatment to halt the toning where it is now? I repeat DO NOT DO IT.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17266 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An acetone bath has absolutely zero effect on the toning, in any way at all, on any (metallic) coin.

Acetone is an organic solvent, not an inorganic solvent. Acetone can be used precisely because it won't affect the toning, and thus not chemically damage the coin.

Depending on the environment, the toning will just inexorably continue to progress. Toning is an inorganic natural process.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello John1. Uhhhh? Did someone suggest Acetone for this coin? Must have missed that. lol Regardless, that will not happen. I like it the way it is. My pictures I used different lighting, by switching a mixture of LED and Halogen with a intensity knob. Gives a wide range of looks. But bottom line, in hand (as usual) this coin is super nice and eye appeal galore to all I have showed it to. Again, would never consider acetone'ing (new word) this, as I see no reason. Happy to have won this bad boy. I have two other specimens that are in excellent condition. One with some toning and one straight away Silver luster. May post for comparisons. Thx for the input.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50371 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-58, probably just a carelessly handled unc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on picking up that coin. It is a nice specimen. Personally, I like it just the way it is (my opinion).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35465 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No one mentioned using acetone. I just thought that the coin looks great "now" but what about in the future? I was thinking that acetone might "preserve" what and where the toning is right now.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4635 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Happy to have won this bad boy.

That's all that matters!

I would agree with the AU assessment expressed by others. From your images, I see wear/metal loss on the cheek and left elbow of Lee as well as on the left rear leg of his horse.

Congrats on adding a nice coin to your collection (and for getting the wife's stamp of approval ).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
89942 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies John1. lol I read your comment in the wrong context. I was tired (that's my excuse). You were saying IN THE FUTURE they could change tone wise, and asking if Acetone could restore some eye appeal if it tones too much, but DON'T DO IT (now or later). I gotcha. My bad. It's all good and understood.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin knows it's the bomb. It just told me...

"Yo G, do you know who I am? Yea. That's right. You can call me 'TONE Mountain' there wild man. Hmm Hmm. Now go get me a fancy Flip to hang out in."

Coin has attitude....but I like that. lol

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,127Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05