Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questionable Authenticity? 1884 Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
389 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  09:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I have not posted here in ages, so I hope this post finds everyone well.

My first post back involves my 1884 Canadian ten cents graded XF40, which resides in a PCGS Gold Shield holder, which I think may be counterfeit. There's a backstory to this, and I will try not to ramble.

I acquired the piece over 6 years ago (I think) in a trade with a well-known and reputable seller of Canadian coins who has a presence on eBay.

Fast forward a few years, and I brought the piece with me to the winter FUN show in Orlando to use for trading fodder, having lost interest in the piece. I showed it to a seller from Canada and he voiced his opinion that it might not be real, after studying it for several moments. He recommended that I take it to one of the big names in Canadian numismatics, who was also in attendance. I asked that individual what he thought of the piece and all he said was, "That's not for me." In retrospect I wish I had pressed him for details, but he was pretty busy at the time.

Anyhow, seeing that the coin was in a PCGS holder, which shows up as the same coin on their certification verification page, I figured, heck, there's a guarantee, and I eventually put it in the back of my mind (pretty uncharacteristic of me, considering I had $1,900 USD in the piece). Now, having seen a post on the forum here about a fake 1884 dime, I figured it's time to look into this in earnest, and so I am seeking opinions. I'd have been fooled by the recent 1884 fake, although it doesn't look like my coin.

I know Mike Marshall is here from time to time so I hope he sees this. This is the coin, PCGS certification number 27827110. The PCGS photo is too large to upload. Thanks to anyone who weighs in. I have also posted the coin on the PCGS World and Ancient forum, although without the backstory. Thanks to everyone in advance for opinions.

Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could just be placebo but I also feel suspicious of the coins authenticity, the letters and numbers on the reverse look mushy, and not the topical mushy from a weak strike. The obverse also looks odd, from what I is reading there is only one obverse die design known to be used for this date.

Compare to the picture used on coins and Canada. http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins...ts-1865-1896
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks ok to me but good to have it looked at lots of fakes
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3176 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A dealer saying " that's not for me " means anything from I do not like the coin to I am out
Of cash to about thirty other things .
If you are really worried , take PCGS up on their Guarantee or at least get them to re-examine it .
As to being counterfeit , sure looks OK to me
The eye appeal and assigned grade ......meh !
Edited by Pacificoin
12/07/2019 10:41 am
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your observations so far. Anyone else care to weigh in?

I'll be presenting this to PCGS at this year's FUN show. If it turns out to be counterfeit, well, it's a heck of an expensive lesson about being more careful, especially with the key dates. If it is a fake I'm not sure that the recent Albanian seller's activity is the source, since I acquired this piece so long ago.
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll be presenting this to PCGS at this year's FUN show. If it turns out to be counterfeit, well, it's a heck of an expensive lesson about being more careful,

If the coin is a counterfeit arent they supposed to buy it back for the price you paid for it?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2326 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
only if it is an authentic holder, if the holder is also counterfeit then bye-bye guarantee
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the coin is a counterfeit arent they supposed to buy it back for the price you paid for it?

Depends what you paid for it but yes the guarantee would apply or they might off to find a replacement unless as mentioned it's a fake holder.
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The holder appears to be genuine. The coin matches the photo on the PCGS certification verification page, and the number on the slab also matches the PCGS number.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1741 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2019  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see any red flags on this piece from the photos, feel free to stop by our table at FUN, I would be glad to take a look at it in hand
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see any red flags on this piece from the photos, feel free to stop by our table at FUN, I would be glad to take a look at it in hand.

Thanks, I'll do that. What is your table number and your business name?
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

First of all, to JD, it was nice to meet you at the recent FUN show. I was feeling much better after speaking to you about this coin. Very nice business you have there!

I also had the great fortune to run into the person who actually sold me this piece, and we discussed it at length. The general consensus is that the piece is indeed genuine, so I'm glad to be at ease.

I guess that closes this thread out. Thanks to all who contributed :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05