Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Do With Damaged Lincoln 1914-D And 1931-S?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  1:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wmjanv to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Novice here - I've been sorting through a large set of Lincoln cents my grandfather collected. I found these two coins in a cup along with some other heavily circulated pre-1930 Lincoln cents. I realize they have little value in this condition but I want to keep them as part of completing a set, my question is what if anything should I do before putting them in a flip? I have done acetone and/or distilled water rinses in some cases but wasn't sure what the best approach is here. Thanks in advance.

Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giwalsh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd try Verdi Care,that 31 S isn't that bad.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12410 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's really nothing you can do to save these coins . The 14-D is toast ,the 31-S has corrosion spots and some other damage . When a copper coin starts corroding as badly as your 31-S , it's a goner .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43874 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that Verdi-Care will likely improve the '31-S.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone on the 14-D and see how it turns out. It's still a 14-D and will fill a hole in a circulated set.

The Verdi-Care will likely remove the green verdigris in "In God We Trust" and probably clean up the reverse as well. It was developed by a forum member and Lincoln expert and has worked well on a few of my coins.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wmjanv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! I'll give it a try.

As a side note my grandfather had a complete book of Lincolns up to 1947. I've already sent the 1909-SVDB and 1914-D off for grading, so this one was just to not have an empty slot in the binder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
768 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What to do with them? I mean you could give them to me. I'll take those off your hands!

I agree with VerdiCare on the 31S. You might be able to save it, or at least not allow it to get worse.
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Complete / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Complete / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 4 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 6 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12410 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verdi-Care is a great product but it works on Verdigris not green corrosion which I believe the 31-S is suffering with .
Don't get me wrong it will lighten the green up a little ( try a soak ) but will not remove it 100% . A keeper for sure but a detailed coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1580 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just hold on to them as is an celebrate they were your Grandfather's coins. Not all coins need to look bright and shiny, especially ones your Grandfather owned.
Learn More...
United States
81003 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just hold on to them as is an celebrate they were your Grandfather's coins. Not all coins need to look bright and shiny, especially ones your Grandfather owned.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16211 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, the good news, from the minimal information given, the coins both appear to be genuine. :)

DON'T TRY ANYTHING ON THESE COINS. These are key date coins and you'll only make things worse.

If you truly want to save them, leave the conservation to an expert or a professional (PCGS/NGC). The #1 mistake made by new collectors is to completely ruin their coins by attempting to "clean them up a little". This is ESPECIALLY CRITICAL with key date coins. A heavily cleaned coin is worth LESS to me than a corroded one....just MHO.

Keep the coins or sell them, it doesn't matter..... I would rinse them with distilled water, then acetone to dry them and go right into Airtite holders. This will "freeze" the corrosion process pretty well until you figure out a rational plan for conservation or to just leave them as is. GOOD LUCK!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18952 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:

just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05