Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japan Silver 1 Yen And BU And Shu

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
175 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear CCF members,

I would welcome your expertise as to whether this silver yen coin is genuine or not.

Same goes for Bu and Shu.

The reason I am asking here is that the weight is slightly off by about 0.10 grammes. I am not sure if I should be worried or not as I read somewhere that some silver coins do lose some weight over the years in circulation. Would this applies to this coin?

I got interested in collecting silver coins again because of a kind CCF member here during Santa Secret exchange.

I regret a bit because it took me a year to post this topic here as I bought them last year.

Thank you for your input in advance. Please be kind and gentle with your words, thanks!

Kind regards,

Carrigna

Edited by Carrigna
12/09/2019 7:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5786 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A tenth of a gram in a circulated coin is nothing to worry about. If you have a Morgan handy, check the sound it makes when flipped - as long as it is .900 fine silver, I don't see a reason to doubt this one.

The Bu and Shu look perfectly fine to me. Were they attributed? Attribution can be tricky, but I think both are Ansei era.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Finn, for spotting my wee mistake as I meant to say 0.10 grammes, not 10 grammes!

I went back and correct my mistake.

I am happy that you believe my yen coin is real/genuine.

I am not sure what you meant by attribution? I am not familiar with these coins: shu and bu.

I would need someone to help me out with hearing the sound for me. It will take some time to find someone kind to help me out.

I welcome any further explanation as to what you meant in your post.

Gratefully yours,

Carrigna
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5786 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Japanese Bu and Shu are much, much more complex than one might initially suspect.

Tokugawa culture was built around the warrior classes, but there were no wars to fight. So, they had to do things to occupy their time, which, in addition to panel paintings, Sumo, Kabuki, poetry, music, and swords as an art form, also included numismatics.

Tokugawa numismatics is exhaustively well-documented, with secret codes like inverted sakura blossoms indicating where a coin was made, when, and who made it. For example, your Bu has small flowers (Sakura) around the edge, and if you look closely, you will see that the one in the bottom left on the obverse and the bottom center on the reverse are upside-down. This is known in English catalogs as type P/r (each letter corresponding to the position of the blossom, A-T obverse, a-t reverse, or Z/z if none are inverted), which means Tenpo era, 1837-1854. Most bu-gin are either Tenpo or Ansei, 1859-1868.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn,

Thank you so much for your explanation! Now I understand what you meant.

I will check it again. I think one of these coins are older. One is from Tenpo era. Another is from Ansei era.

Meanwhile, how would you grade one yen coin and a holed coin? I forgot what denomination it was.

Thank you for your informative reply! Appreciate it very much!

Kind regards,

Carrigna
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2019  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormyCatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight of the yen is okay by my books, but I'm always a bit hesitant about coins with uniform gray field and uniform not-gray raised images, like the dragon side of your yen. That said it's falling into the category of 'hard to judge by picture' for me :(
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, StormyCatt, for your kind input!

What about other coins?

I will inspect one yen coin closely when I returned from my visit.

Thanks again for your taking time to give your feedback.

Gratefully yours,

Carrigna
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05