Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955-S LWC RPM-004 & Possible DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 536Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this roll hunting today but don't know much about pennies. This looks like RPM-004 to me & it has the distinctive die gouge on the lower bust. Also, on the "G" of IGWT, the top end of the G looks to have a small spread to me?

Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another shot of the MM & The W in IGWT looks like it might have a small spread too?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1885 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello NewbieCoiner808

The shape of the mint mark is wrong.
EDIT: changed the word "off" to "wrong"
Edited by levelsofmadnes
12/09/2019 11:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing it? Where specifically? It looks to be in the correct position too?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34311 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing a DDO or a RPM.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1885 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello NewbieCoiner808,

It doesn't look the same on the top curve.

Just as the top curve bends to the right it should look thicker.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the correct position for the MM and the top may look different due to polishing (Stage B maybe).

Looks like the die gouge through the M of UNUM is visible in the whole coin reverse.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks level, I do see a small difference in the top of the curve. Could that be a result of the re-punch or over polishing as Pete suggests? The die gouge on the M you are referencing Pete doesn't appear until Stage C. The other 2 die gouges shown in Stage A & B are exact on this coin? Here's the die gouge between United & States:
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45200 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the lower loop area of the mintmark is showing a damaged punch from a puncheon used.

Note on all of Variety Vista images that the mintmarks pretty much all had the same affected area from the damaged punch used that year:
http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20...%201955S.htm

The area on the 'W' is master die doubling that is on several years of wheat cents.
So it is not a RPM or a doubled die.

(Another file to add to the information accumulated)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the explanation once again coop. I learn a lot every time from you. I have just started looking at pennies and they seem way more complicated than other coins
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 536Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05