Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do I Start Coin Roll Hunting?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ourownillusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I want to go from just opportunistically collecting coins to cheaply collecting as an amateur. I have a few US coin collection books I would like to work on filling, as its the easiest place to start.

- But I don't know where to begin. And I need to do this cheaply.

- Can I buy them online in small quantities, like a few rolls at a time?

- Are there reputable sites or sellers to look for?

- Are there people on here who sell these - how do I find them?

- No offense but is everyone on here like safe to assume they're reputable, or should I look at how long they've been here before I buy?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advanced for helping me. I just want to be at least a little informed before I jump right on in. I don't want to accidentally waste money on something that's faked.
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bill069 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can start by going to your bank, buy rolls at face value.
Good luck!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ourownillusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thanks @bill069! There's a bank in my local Walmart I can make an account at. I could easily use it as a separate checking account. Can you ask for, say, half dollars or gold dollar coins rolls?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3158 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some people here who are so dedicated to coin roll hunting, that they might recommend a hand truck or a cart to haul vast quantities from the bank. They get several boxes of their favorite denomination per week! That can be heavy.

All kidding aside, you can fairly easily get most coins 1960 and newer from rolls, but you will need to go through considerable volumes to get the older ones. Wheat cents, for instance, seem to be about 1/4 of 1 percent of the circulation coins. A few have got ALL the Jeffersons from circulation, but it seems you need to search over 100,000 to do so.

Others with more experience will have more to add. Here in Canada almost all the ones more than 20 years old have been taken from circulation to be melted, so opportunities are quite limited.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all welcome! If you think you are going to get rich doing this it won't happen but you can collect almost all the modern coins for albums this way. If you can order half dollars by the box this is the best just don't take them back to the same bank.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4852 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get all my coin rolls Canadian and US from different banks.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giwalsh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes as said pick a bank with many branches all over as you will be buying from half and "dumping" in the other half.i personally use chase as there is so many branches and I usually only buy customer wrapped rolls.bad thing about chase is you have to roll your change to cash in
Pillar of the Community
United States
3850 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another way is to switch completely to cash purchases. I get dozens of wheat cents and also silver coins back in change every year. As the breadwinner for a family of four, I use a credit card maybe 3 or 4 times per year.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin roll hunting is your cheapest way. I buy a $25 box of circulated pennies a week. If I don't find any keepers I still have $25 to reinvest. It's ok to ask for circulated ones. My primary bank has a branch with a free coin counter. So that is my dump bank. I checked other banks and sampled there pennies. I now have an account where I can get my pennies. You can try customer rolled pennies but it can be hit or miss. I average 1 LWC for 2 rolls.
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And get a plugable microscope. And a digital scale.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...AscVEALw_wcB
Edited by TwistedTrader
12/14/2019 08:23 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05