Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973-D LMC D / Horizontal D Found Roll Hunting.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  3:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add carwash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1973 LMC D over Horizontal D West is it real , Wgt. 3.09g

Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a die crack from the tail of the 9 to the mintmark
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
3605 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks a little big to be a mint mark.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg
A few notable finds:
1857 FEC DDO S-4 FS-101:
http://goccf.com/t/368150
1888-O $1 Hot Lips VAM-4:
http://goccf.com/t/363580

Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carwash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
2096 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see where it looks like a horizonal mintmark, but I agree with others here that it's too big and it's just a crack. Worth keeping? Probably not, but it is unusual.
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1218 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the upthread comments: this is a die crack. I believe that it is a keeper, however. (Hey, it only costs one cent to keep it!)

Die cracks between mint marks and curved numbers in dates are common during the high mintage and die overuse era during and after WW II, with several of them developing into known interior die breaks (IDBs) that are listed on cuds-on-coins. Date-mm IDBs are known for 1950-D, 1951-S, 1952-D, 1952-S, 1954-S, 1957-D, 1979-D, and date-only IDBs for 1983 and 1987. There is presently no known IDB for 1973-D, but your coin could be a break that later developed into one. It might be fun to keep it in case an IDB is discovered, since you would have an earlier stage. The Denver mint overworked many dies in the 1970s, and anything is possible with overworked dies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carwash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. There is presently no known IDB for 1973-D, but your coin could be a break that later developed into one.

fortcollins thanks for your description. I will be keeping it. I like that it is different.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05