Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Older Chinese Coins?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  11:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ScratchMang to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I lived in China (Beijing) back in the early/Mid 80's and picked up a number of coins from a friend whilst there. Not sure if they are real or not, they've been sitting in a box in the back of a closet for, well a few decades now, figured I would see if anyone would happen to have any ideas as to what they are.... Standard Quarter in there for size reference...

Dave
Pillar of the Community
United States
798 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think those might be tools not coins but I'm not sure
Pillar of the Community
United States
798 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But I am clearly wrong, don't know about the first two but the last might be this one:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces61870.html
Learn More...
United States
22817 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Not my area of collecting, but we do have a few experts on these here.

There are so many fakes that have been produced in China it's very difficult to tell the fakes from the genuine coins.
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScratchMang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reply.

As I said, I'm not a coin collector by any means (were it parts to a KTM Motorcycle I'd have better luck I'm sure) but yeah, had them for quite some time now and not really doing me any good sitting in the boxes collecting dust. I'll post up some images of the others in a minute here....

Pillar of the Community
United States
798 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScratchMang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So here's some images of a "Fish coin"?

Again a quarter for size reference....

Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScratchMang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I have sent images to the guy's in Calgary but as of yet have not received a reply. I guess they are off for the holidays :)
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScratchMang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As tot hem being 'fakes' there's always that possibility, I do recall when living there you could get pretty much anything duplicated if you wanted, from clothes to furniture really, so it's anyone's guess until I can get them into the hands of an 'expert'.
Pillar of the Community
United States
798 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've changed the pictures, did you do that on purpose?
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScratchMang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No...

Seems that uploading images with the same filename overwrites the originals. Odd.. I'll fix that up later when I get home, it's quitting time here and a Friday to boot so for me it's beer thirty time ;)
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
156 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I do recall when living there you could get pretty much anything duplicated if you wanted, from clothes to furniture really,"

@ScratchMang When living in Yantai I found the same. The Chinese could replicate just about anything. Your coins do look authentic, but as has been previously said, it would take an expert to say for sure.

JIm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello! I am your resident expert on ancient Chinese coins.

I saw this thread yesterday, but didn't have time to respond. There were a bunch more pictures. Do you mind uploading them again?

The first coin is a hollow-handle spade. It is much smaller than most and has a 2-character inscription, and it is rare as such. I'm on the fence about authenticity with this one. I've seen these sell for $1000-2500.

The "cheese-grater" like thing I know nothing about, but I have seen them before.

Your next hollow-handled spade is the most common of the type with an inscription of "Wu". It is completely genuine. Value is $500-750.

You have a large knife coin, which is a 5-character JiMo knife. It is absolutely genuine. The value of that coin has exploded tenfold in the past 10 years. It would easily fetch $8000-15000 on the market today.

The fish "coin" is a probably burial money that never really circulated. Bridge money is in the same category. They are very common and not valuable. Your would fetch $50-100.
Edited by TypeCoin971793
01/04/2020 08:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4707 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, ScratchMang.

Just wanted to add that when Thomas (TypeCoin971793) says, above, that he is the resident expert with regard to ancient Chinese money, it is an understatement. He is a respected, recognized authority.

Very glad to see that he contributed his thoughts here.
Valued Member
Netherlands
90 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AnYangMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I was about to type up a reply, but it seems Thomas beat me to it! I do completely agree with Thomas. Most are completely genuine, save for maybe that first spade. It is exceedingly rare and I have not seen an awful lot of genuine ones, so it is difficult to compare. The Grater money is actually a later, Han dynasty amulet. They are quite rare, but there is only a limited market for them I am afraid. But once again, it is completely genuine.
That sloped shoulder Hollow-head (Wu) is very nice indeed and with a gorgeous blue patina. Should you ever want to get rid of/sell that one, please do shoot me a message!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05