Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaned Morgan Dollars?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  08:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shoover4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have long had trouble determine from a picture whether coins have been cleaned, so I'm trying to educate myself a bit more. Here are three coins that I'm guessing have been cleaned. Do you agree? If so, what is that makes you believe they have been cleaned? Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8236 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they all looked cleaned. the top two maybe a little too over dipped and the 89 may have been polished and dipped
Pillar of the Community
United States
9160 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What mint are these from? Anything 1893 will bring a premium even if over-dipped (if authentic)
Member SSDC, TNA
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KingFridayXIII to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What makes me think they've been cleaned is the flat, grey look they have to them, esp. the top two. The bottom one might have fooled me. I'm a newbie so stuff like this is a great learning tool when the pros chime in.
Edited by KingFridayXIII
01/06/2020 1:42 pm
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shoover4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1893's are New Orleans, and the 1889 is Carson City. Those mintages (especially the 1889-CC) always raise my suspicions, but these in particular look off to me.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shoover4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incidentally, here are some reverse images. I'm particularly concerned about the top right because the breast feathers are basically gone, but the wings (particularly the one of the left) are nearly perfect. That wear pattern doesn't seem right to me.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Lackeys Coins505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if you heard of wish but Wish is an online e-commerce platform that facilitates transactions between sellers and buyers. They are selling a bunch of fake coins that look just like that. I'm in no means calling yours fake but I just wanted to share that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8236 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm particularly concerned about the top right because the breast feathers are basically gone, but the wings (particularly the one of the left) are nearly perfect. That wear pattern doesn't seem right to me.

the 93(O) is a very typical strike for that year at New Orleans mint. the breast looks like that as it has a higher relief than the surrounding areas and requires a stronger strike to develop it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05