Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello, And I Need Help - Bringing Coins Home To Canada

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  11:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add germ22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good day every one.
I am German, now Canadian.
I have been fascinated about coins for a while. Just now I have inherited a whole pile of a vieriety of coins, mostly German. The oldest date I could male out was from 1743 (I think).
I want to bring these coins home to Canada.
I have tried to find info of what is involved to import coins to Canada. I think I will be taking it as carry on on the plane, unless someone here has info on why that would be a bad idea.
Am I correct that Canada does not charge import duty on coins?
I'm sure someone at customs will ask about value. I have no idea of its worth. And the monetary value I rather secondary to me..

Sorry if I am braking forum rules and make a bunch of mistakes. I am using an old smart phone with limited usability.

Thank in advance for everybody's help and understanding.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13606 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3723 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info Dorado.

Welcome to the Forum germ22. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Enjoy!!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
84180 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3239 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since they are what would be considered listed personal property
and not COMMERCIAL goods there should be no real issues.
There is no DUTY ON collector coins .
That said you should provide as much Documentation as you can
IE copy of a will , any invoices , gift letter etc .
The CBSA does have the right to Impose GST / HST on fair market value
depending on your Province of residence .
. You would have to go through a lot of red tape to get it back .
Some advice , I have had clients in your position in the past , what some
have done is gone to a CBSA office beforehand and talked to a supervisor .
Overall it did help in some cases .
Whatever you do , don't even think of not declaring the items
that only leads to a world of hurt . Good luck, hope all works out for you!
Edited by Pacificoin
01/07/2020 3:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacoin............sounds like very good advice.
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add germ22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the info so far. I am trying to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.
I can't eat to get home and find some pie and start sorting and cataloging all the coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16662 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
germ22: to the CCF!

Would love to see a few pictures of what you inherited.
I have about 30 German States coins, from about 1700 to 1900.

My only other claim to (German) fame, is that I own a 1998 E55 AMG, with just past 100,000 kilometers, in close to pristine original condition.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1018 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will want to be very careful of the $10,000 dollar rule on declaring. Is there any gold or very much silver in the collection? That can be a quick and easy way to get a base value.

Pacific has great advice on talking to a customs official ahead of time, they are the ones you'll have to deal with. They may suggest an appraisal before you come or tell you what documents to provide at border. If you have a connecting flight, be sure to leave extra time.

Post some more details and members may be able to point out what to look for and high value items.

I have purchased coins in the US with ne and brought them back, sometimes up to $2500, have never paid any tax, but had to go in and talk to an agent. One guy rang it up as $0 duty/tax and said this could be used to prove it entered canada legally if issues ever happen. One agent hastled me on coin value once, because I did not have my reciept handy (ebay purchase)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1445 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can prove that it is an inheritance, you will not be assesd any taxes. Irrelevant of the value. Inheritance that has already been dealt with outside of Canada is not subject to duty or tax.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16662 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get some advice from professional coin dealers regarding their experience on how they import coins into Canada.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3239 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is much different as a dealer importing coins into Canada than the OP
Situation.
I am a dealer and import / export coins on a regular basis .
If the OP follows the excellent suggestions from various posts above
he will have very few issues .
Edited by Pacificoin
01/08/2020 6:39 pm
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add germ22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a bunch of silver coins, only a handgun of small gold coins.
Over two thirds of the collection is not sorted and just in plastic bags.
I'd love to post some pictures, but my smartphone is to dumb to do that. I'm happy I can even post stuff.
I have emailed Canada customs, calling them has not worked for me so far die to the time change. But one thing is clear, when arriving in Canada, we will definitely go through the gate that says "things to declare". Then we can explain the entire situation.
Does anyone know of it would be better to put the collection in the carry on, or the checked bags?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3239 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seriously .... Carry on or checked ?
CARRY ON ONLY , guard carefully!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4479 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carry on, money should never be checked in
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add germ22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Customs has emails me back, with some form to fill out. Over all the said its not a bid deal. Things should go fairly smooth as long as we don't try to hide anything.
Thank you all for you help, it was valuable info.
I am looking forward to contribute to this community.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05