Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Septinius Severus AR Denarius (Unlisted)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

France
36 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  2:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have recently purchased this coin.
The seller said it is silver plated denarius of Septimius Severus.(17mm,2,97 gr).
Dear friends and colleagues pls inform if this coin is ancient fake of it is barbarian imitation?

Learn More...
United States
22826 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO it is an official issue, I don't believe it's a fouree, I think what you are seeing is dirt.
France
36 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot. But the coin with the avers SEVERVS PIVS AVG and revers PM TRP III COS PP (imperator on horseback left) is not mention in any catalogs! May be you will be able to ID the coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the time Severus was acclaimed TRP III, he was already COS II. The reverse actually belongs to Gordian III. A contemporary counterfeit, c. 240s. If you can see base metal in the holes, then a fourrée (plated). Certainly more interesting than most official coins of either Severus or Gordian!

(image courtesy Classical Numismatic Group)
Edited by Kushanshah
01/10/2020 11:08 pm
France
36 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  01:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks and best regards.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1722 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Entirely modern and made from Lipanoff dies.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1740 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this Martin!.....That is scary!

Is there a resource showing different well documented fake dies anywhere?
Edited by Palouche
01/12/2020 05:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1722 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These Lipanoff dies were all published by Dr. I. Prokopov, Sofia in 2004. This 88 page booklet is available for about $20. He also followed this up with a further book in 2006 exposing a range of pseudo hoards found in Bulgaria.

Edited by maridvnvm
01/12/2020 05:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1740 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent...Thank you.
Paul
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1722 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have added as many as I can to the Forvm Fake reports. Dr. Propokov also added many examples including images of some of the steel dies.

France
36 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Prokopov books are available as free PDF downloads. Check academia.edu and the publisher's website. It may also be helpful to search CCCHBulg (Coin Collections and Coin Hoards from Bulgaria) which is the series to which these titles belong.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1722 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several Lipanoffs that turn up in auctions from time to time. I inform the auction houses about them when I see them. They do not always do anything about it.
France
36 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are right, unfortunately!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05