Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 2 Cent - Fancy 5 MPD FS-1304?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  3:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
couldn't find much on this other than the PCGS photo which wasn't very helpful but it seems to be the right placement. Let me know what you guys think.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7192 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I already gave an explanation on your posting here:
http://goccf.com/t/364659

The raised stuff below the 1 and in the denticles is just a bit of extra metal IMO. It is not the MPD.

There are several other pick up points for the FS-1304 that I'm not seeing on your coin. Mainly die crack diagnostics that need to be there as well.

Here is a photo of what the 1865F two cent FS-1304 MPD looks like. (Photo used from Kevin Flynn's "The Authoritative Reference on Two Cent Coins" book) I also have Cherrypickers guide if you'd like the photos from Bill's direct reference guide, his photos are from a higher grade coin like yours. I used Kevin's photo to show how the MPD shows up on even lower grade coins, it is quite obvious.

The other thing is the date placement should be farther to the left on a FS-1302. I can show you on an overlay of your coin compared to a known FS-1302 photo.

(I aligned the shield ball and rim, then placed Bill's photo at 33% transparency over your photo and cropped the whole image before saving it).

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
01/15/2020 6:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a bunch. I was primarily focusing on the extra metal. I posted those topics same day. Appreciate the input
Pillar of the Community
United States
7192 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah that extra metal build up is strange and would confuse any number of collectors I'm sure. Your coin is still a really nice one, and probably worthy of having it TPG'd. If you do slab it let us know what the grade ends up as, this
is a hard coin to grade from the photos alone.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
01/16/2020 12:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was sent off about a week ago to PCGS, so I will let you guys know
Pillar of the Community
United States
7192 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WIll be interested in what PCGS says about it.

Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't got the coin in hand but came back normal cleaned. 0/2 on this order sadly
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05