Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963 Nickel -- Is This An Impaired Proof Or Just A PL Biz Stirke?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 406Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
715 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  2:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this in a coin roll. Thanks in advance for explaining your opinions either way. Took photos of a 1963 I know is a business strike and have in included them for comparison in case that's helpful. Photos were taken with the same lighting conditions.

Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its a business strike do to the weakness of the strike.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45642 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think is was a circulated proof. But no premium for that. You can buy these reasonable these days still in the cello.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CP1, I appreciate the feedback. I had this suspicion that it's probably just a glossy business strike but want to see what other people think. coop, would you mind giving an explanation instead of just an assertion? It's really not about whether I can buy something. I am trying to ascertain whether I'd be upgrading my business strike or if it is actually an impaired proof, which I wouldn't want to replace my business strike. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45642 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well note the die state. The proof coins are only used to strike 3,000 coins. (total of 6,000 strikes per side) Thus the surfaces show little die wear. (In face most proof coins show even more die wear than this one) Thus one was probably cloudy on the fields and was spent because of the bad look to it. It could be added to a collection, but you could get better examples in BU than this coin. People save them, but they are just an impaired coin. If it were a variety I would save it, but if it were proof looking, it could be spent. (Many times these coins were left in their original cello and turn strange colors) Or it may have been put into s soft flip and had been stored for a time leaving PVC damage on the coin, and then discarded to circulation. Seeing the crispness of inside rim makes me think it is a retired proof coin.

Sometimes you can see rim scratches on the edges of proof coins:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49487 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't argue with coop, but that surprises me!
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop, that's very helpful for understanding what you're seeing. I am glad I asked.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 406Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05