Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is This Error? 1984 Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  10:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nick271717 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello I noticed this error on a 1984 penny while coin roll hunting. It may look like a scratch but it is actually a raised line on the penny. I am new to this an am not sure what the error is or what it might be called. Any thoughts? Thank-you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3269 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a die crack. The mint uses dies that stamp down on a blank planchet. If the die is cracked then it will result in this type of error leaving a raised line where the crack prevented the coin impression.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2437 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking a plating blister, see if you can depress it with a toothpick

Edited: to CCF....good luck on future finds
Edited by Greasy Fingers
01/12/2020 11:47 pm
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrDusty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Greasy; copper bubbles from contamination/whatnot can resemble feeder finger gouges, die breaks, and all sorts of other things. The trick is that Copper bubbles, particularly under magnification, almost always have a bloated, rounded look akin to the gold plating on a novelty quarter.

Coupled with the fact that the blister ends and begins again it's got all the classic signs.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick271717 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys... Looked it up and definitely looks like a plating blister like you both said! Are they worth keeping? Worth more than face value? Thanks again!
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF It's only face value.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31205 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Linear trail gas bubble,a plating issue. No added value.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
81003 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05