Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ghost Image 83p 1cent Smdate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  1:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
linc memorial struck so hard its image is visible viewing from the front. this image was the very best I could do but a vid would be much better.

in person by just looking with the eye, the error can be seen without supplemental equipment aid.

is there a market for this coin? is it a documented eerror type?
Edited by jcassity
01/15/2020 1:02 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42345 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No the die was normal. But note the bust, the edge is missing. So when the die polishing altered the fields to remove a clash mark, it reduced the size of the date. There is no such thing as a small date that year. Just a die event altered the die and reduced the devices. Not a premium for the coin. It happens also to proof dies as well.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is this coin of any value to the eye of a coin dealer?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42345 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just an normal die coin that the die was polished down. Common.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20336 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Coop said, "Not a premium for the coin."
Pillar of the Community
United States
856 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people will pay for a Die clash but not much. What coop said and a Die clash that's why your seeing the Memorial across the neck >>http://www.error-ref.com/die_clash/
Edited by Daves Errors
01/15/2020 2:38 pm
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have no idea what is reasonable to perserve or put value on. I have no idea why an error oollector would not want a coin like this. My model is to find and resell interesting coins,, but... submitting great condition coins for grading and letting them go to auction to supplement income.

i get the feeling that my basic intrest in finding odd ball errors isn't worth my time.,, this is the part I enjoy the most.

on the phone now with stacks and bowers to get a few small questoins answered on grading good shape coins.

Edited by jcassity
01/15/2020 2:23 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42345 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take some time to look at the sites to see what is listed. That will give you a better idea as what to watch for on coins. Probably 99% of the coins are non collectables to a variety collector. A variety collector looks for die variety coins. The error collector looks for mint errors. But some see an odd looking coin and think it is something real valuable. Then they hopes are dash when they find out that it is a die event or circulation damaged. So knowing what to look for will help train your eyes to know what to look for. When the right coin comes under your glass, then it will leap out at you. So take some time and see what to look for, so you not led down a path that will be a detour from finding something collectable.
Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16248 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the dies did have a severe clash atone time and in trying to polish it off much of the front of the coat was removed. But it does look like one or more of the bays from the Memorial is still visible on his throat. Since the clash is present in what would have been a recessed area of the die, the clash marks before polishing would have been VERY impressive.
Gary Schmidt
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i started researching the online wexler info while I was muddling through my ATB's,, then comparing what you all call Machine Doubling,,, and I got very frustrated seeing that what wexler calls a double,, if brought here by a newbie its considered common and only Machine Doubling. Yes,, you are right I need to get my head on right if I actually want make a profit.

it sems like in my absense of collecting since 84,,, the only coin that has value is only the coin that someone else says is valueable. In my opinion,, this is not the foundation of coin collcting and seems rather elitist.

my two son's are trying to get into this hobby but,,, right now,, they are confused ,,,, they find something and its worthless because its not on someones list. Maybe this is one of many reasons why this industry nearly died out over the past couple decades.

Edited by jcassity
01/15/2020 3:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42345 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the ATB issue is how the dies devices are formed on the coin. If the devices are raised, they react one way for a doubled die. If the devices are Incuse, the devices are acted just the opposite way.

Raised devices with a doubled die are enlarged.

Raised devices with Machine Doubling reduces the actual size of the devices.

Incuse (Sunken devices) on a doubled die reduces the size of the devices:

On Machine Doubling on the EPU incuse devices, the opposite happens, they get taller:

Incuse devices with Machine Doubling enlarges the devices.

Your missing the raised and incuse devices point. How they affect hub doubling. I have yet to see a DDR on the incuse devices on the ATB reverse quarter devices on the outside ring.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
01/15/2020 3:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CouchDiver1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a link to auction that John1 gave me when I posted and 85 jailed Lincoln. I think they got like 16 or 20 usd for the 83 clash like yours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-P-LIN...183901991661
Edited by CouchDiver1978
01/15/2020 4:37 pm
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe I have misunderstood or visa versa.... but....

that is the dollar figure I was guessing,, actually I was thinking aruond 15$ at best.

thats actually a lot of value when my overheadis only myself
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised by that figure and would caution not to get high hopes. Not trying to be negative, because I understand the desire to make some money off your finds. Just want to preempt a frustration down the road if you don't get the results you were hoping for. It's a nice die clash at the very least.
everything else
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05