Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Exhausted All My Avenues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  05:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Auxradar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Completely stumped on this coin/token thought it might be colonial but cant find anything remotely close.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3152 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you give us the weight and diameter? It bears a vague resemblance to one of the Canadian peninsular tokens. I can almost make out some letters. Maybe some of the letters are clearer in hand.
Learn More...
Australia
13254 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the corrosion, I assume it's made of tin, or perhaps pewter or white metal, Such materials do not survive well being buried for a century or two.

My guess would be a commemorative medal, from the early-to-mid-1800s, when such things were at their height of popularity but before the invention of cheap, mass-produced aluminium in the late 1800s. I'm afraid I can;t tell who the person on the obverse is, nor read enough of the legend and reverse inscription to have a guess.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31925 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I am sure a member will be able to help you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12676 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like Peter Rabbits mother with a fireman's hat on carrying a bag of fresh vegetables for the kids to munch on .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Auxradar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now josephine rabbit, that may well be a half decent lead considerimg I'm on the doorstep of the lake district, maybe an old tin token/medal.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2970 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a lot more of the lettering might have been legible, but it's obscured by the photo glare.
There's also some lettering on the top of the first pic, which again would probably be legible on a better-quality photo.

Looking at this corrosion, I'm honestly wondering if it's metal at all! But I have no idea what do disks in exotic metals look like after that much time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2963 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The hair and dress of the figure obverse suggest late 18th century. Lettering obv at 11:00 - 12:00 looks like C U R A or possibly O U R A.

Yes, lots of lettering reverse, some of it legible.

Bottom line appears to have NI(?)TE
Next line up appears to end in NOUS

Could it be a badly corroded Conder token?

Edited by tdziemia
01/17/2020 8:21 pm
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
United Kingdom
16 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tokenscot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks rather like the political token commemorating Thomas Hardy's acquittal on 5 November 1794. Listed by Dalton & Hamer under Middlesex - Political and Social Series - as number 204 and 205. The obverse bust has the legend around the edge and the reverse has text going in rows across the field.

Unfortunately the legend on the obverse of the mystery item appears to be too far from the bust and I cannot marry up the visible letters to the reverse so probably not that piece. It does look from about that time though.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2963 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tokenscot, that's a nice piece of detective work. Certainly the portrait looks like a match, though maybe there were a lot of guys running around with bad hair (wigs?) like that in the 1790s.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05