Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie Question About 1964 Proof Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  11:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jdsherod to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received two coin sets when I was 13. One was my birth year, a 1964 Proof Set and the other was 20th Century Type Dollars. My questions are about the proof set:
Can I remove the coins and look at them outside of the holder? The polycarbonate is so scratched it's hard to really see the details.
Can I wipe off the coins with a cloth if they have any dust or debris on them? I've read enough to know that I shouldn't use any chemicals on them.
I am going to attempt to add photos as well.
Thanks,
Jon

Pillar of the Community
Canada
7949 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum

What you have is an aftermarket Proof Set.
You should be able to remove them easily enough.
DO NOT wipe them with a cloth. Any dust or debris
you can either blow off with compressed air or dip
them in distilled water. Remember to hold any coin by the
edges to avoid fingerprints
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12699 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Capital proof set holder . I would leave them where they are and just use some plastic polish on the holder to remove the scratches and debris . If you decide to take the coins out of the holder do not clean or wipe them with anything .Hold them by the edges and put them in 2x2's or air-tites . If you think the coins have dust on them I would use the air spray that people use to blow debris off their key boards . DO NOT blow on those coins with your mouth , In time you will now why !
Hey Jimmy , we must have been writhing at the same time.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Edited by T-BOP
01/17/2020 12:10 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdsherod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick response. I'll try some Brazo on the holder and see if I can polish out some of the scratches. Otherwise, I'll order some "2X2's". I'm just getting started, so I have no supplies at all.
Jon
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19078 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pending on if you want to spend a little money, simply go to any coin store, hobby store or on line coin supply places like Wizard coin supply. Purchase a new proof holder and move your coins to the new one.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32037 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Bar Keepers Friend works better than Brazo. They also make special polishing compound for plastic.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
82608 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05