Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM Commemorative Silver Dollars "By The Numbers" - January 2020 Update

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  3:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I first did a "By the Numbers" post about Canada's modern NCLT 36 millimeter commemorative silver dollars back in 2012. Every two years since, I have updated the numbers I presented to reflect the most recent RCM SD issues. It's time for my 2020 update! Here's a link to my 2018 update: By The Numbers 2018 in case you'd like to compare.

The first time I "ran the numbers," I listed 58 design types and 103 total SDs in a complete collection. My 2014 update listed 64 and 114, respectively, and in 2016 I listed 69 designs and 122 total SDs. My last update, in 2018, included 76 design types and 133 total SDs - 2017 was a big year for SD releases! Each of the listings was prepared after the January SD releases of their respective year.

This time around, the number of design types is up to 82 (+6) and the total number of SDs needed to have a complete collection is now 142 (+9). The total number of SDs (all versions) has grown by 39 coins over the last eight years - an average of roughly five SDs per year - enough to keep me actively collecting without breaking the bank! The series is the RCM's longest-running commemorative coin series!

I use this data table to track the different categories of RCM 36 mm SDs. Think of it as more of a category census than a collecting checklist or value tracker. As I've stated in past posts, the data is meant only to define and quantify the various 36 mm SDs issued by the RCM.

Though the RCM has already announced the colourized Special Edition SD it will release in May 2020, I have not included it in my census. Only issued coins have been included and counted.

One new twist since my last update is the RCM's release of 36 mm silver medals in an annual proof set of colourized coins; they issued such sets in 2018 and 2019. As they are not NCLT SDs, the medals are not included in my census figures.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3135 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that is an interesting list. I did not realize that the number was so high.
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank-you commems for the info; it's very helpful to me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05