Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Edge Lettered Us Dollar Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  4:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

So I completed a SAC set 2000-2019 with proofs. Also had completed a Presidential set 2007-2011 with proofs.

But honestly the edge lettering gets to me. Its hard to read hard to setup scope and read as you have to hold the coin or set it between something and its still a pain.

Glad to get the sacs complete though and the pres up to 2012. Will keep an eye out for the NIFC pres, I already have a few of those, but I think I will skip the innovation and any other edge lettered coins.

I can post pics of the Sacs and pres if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Dyno
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's pics of my Sacs. Most are from coin roll hunting. I think I bought just two to make this album. Have a few I should upgrade and will if I run into them or coin roll hunt some more.

Thanks,
Dyno
Pillar of the Community
United States
3329 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg
Some of my best/favorite finds:
1888-O $1 "Hot Lips" DDO VAM- 4 http://goccf.com/t/363580
1941 LWC DDO FS-103 http://goccf.com/t/361222
1859 IHC RPD FS-303 S-3 http://goccf.com/t/359464#3089369
1942 LWC DDO FS-104 http://goccf.com/t/344022
1963 25 Type B reverse http://goccf.com/t/352858

Pillar of the Community
United States
4441 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My main problem with edge lettering is that you can't see it in slabs nor albums.
If I understand correctly the lettering can be in either orientation.
Knowing me I'd want both.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also hate that it has to be taken out of a slab or flip to see it. But the same can be said for any silver coin too, but at least not to extent you need to see the detail with edge lettering.

As far as edge lettering orientation I did the same and even labeled flips with Edge Lettering Reversed (ELR). It drove me nuts as I couldn't determine witch was the correct or planned orientation. After about 1000.00 in coin roll hunting I came to the conclusion it was really about 50/50 and made the decision to ditch the effort on the "ELR's". But its a very good point that I missed about edge lettering that I also didn't like.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can also add that it seems the edge at least on business strikes are much more likely to prematurely completely wear off and you have a unproven date much sooner then with obverse or reverse stamps. Especially with these being used quite extensively in car washes and other vending systems that are hard on edges.
Pillar of the Community
United States
609 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great set! Personally, I like our small dollar coins. The new reverse designs only add to the appeal. Yet I must agree with you on the edge lettering. My preference would be the date and mint mark on a curved bar below the obverse bust.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10238 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm ok with edge lettering but I do not like the fact that date and MM are on it for reasons mentioned above. Put a series of stars, the IGWT motto or whatever on it, just something besides information that might help you easily identify the coin.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CelticKnot, I agree, it wouldn't bother me any wheres near as much if it didn't have the date and mint mark on the edge.
Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Date and mint on the edge is why I decided to collect them proof only. I cannot tell P from D in a Dansco.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck, but the proofs still have date on edge as well. Yes if it has nice cameo you tell tell its a proof but other wise it doesn't tell you the date.

As I got the sac and one pres complete they just are not a priority anymore. Going to concentrate on the morgans(which I don't think I will ever complete. Not going to ever invest 5K into a 1993-S or try to hunt for an illusive if not even existing 1995-P. Next up with be a peace set.
Edited by Dynotech
01/20/2020 3:48 pm
Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I determined that collecting by mint mark is useless, I realized I only needed one example per year instead of P/D/S. I do not need to know the date when the reverse changes every year.

So, when I had to choose one, I choose the better of the three.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, the reverse. Touche' sir!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4678 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder who was responsible and lobbied for this disgusting edge lettering? Whomever it was deserves to spend the rest of their live(s) in numismatic prison for high crimes against numismatics!
Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ah, the reverse. Touche' sir!
Yup. If the Sacajawea continued on without the Native American revers, but still moved to edge lettering for date and mint, I might have quit that series after the first year.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05