Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1860 Silver 1 Baht Coin Of Rama 4 Siam, Counterfeit?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  3:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnjrambo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently came across this coin on ebay and as an avid collector of siamese coins was interested in placing a bid until I compared it to one I already have, I contacted the seller who seemed very vague and asked my opinion of the coin,I told him that in my opinion it was a fake as the design was incorrect, one of the signs was the chakra wheel on the reverse had 12 arms instead of the usual 9, it just didn't seem right.It was a couple of days later when I noticed that it had sold for 310, could anybody out there please confirm my suspicions, I've been collecting 40 years since my late father introduced me to the hobby but I am still learning everyday. The first two images are of a legit coin and the second two are of the one I believe to be a copy.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2952 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree.

IN addition to the 12 (fake) vs 9 (genuine) you point out, a comparison of that coin to yours, and to examples on CoinArchives I presume are genuine shows the elephant is more realistic looking in the fake, the ring around the elephant has different decorations, the ring near the rim has decorations that point in the opposite direction, the towers left and right of the central design element obverse have completely different decoration, etc., etc.
Edited by tdziemia
01/19/2020 5:26 pm
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjrambo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia..So you would concur that the second pair of photos are indeed of a fake.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2952 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know these coins at all, and it sounds like you do. And I am not an expert on detecting counterfeits, like some others out here (though I have been learning)

But at this moment, there are 10 different examples of this coin on CoinArchives, and every one of them looks like yours. None of them has any of the differences in design details that have been pointed out. https://www.coinarchives.com/w/resu...&results=100
(If you follow this link be careful because it also picks up fractional bahts).
I also wonder if the surface irregularities (bumps)on the second coin suggest casting?

I think this is a lot of evidence to support your suspicions. It's above my pay grade (or credentials) to say for sure.

Edited by tdziemia
01/20/2020 08:27 am
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjrambo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia.. Many thanks for your time and thoughts, needless to say the buyer has paid well over the odds as I suspected, whether or not the seller was guilty we will never know, needless to say it always pays to be cautious when buying on ebay.#128517;#128556;
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 19.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05