Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 LMC With Possible Strike Error~

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  6:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverLee33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello to all! I found a LMC while going through some coin rolls and noticed one with a curvy line on Lincolns cheek~ over his beard. After much deliberation I decided it looks like the outline of the bushes by the stairs of the memorial! So I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before? I don't know how to do an over~lay with another coin, maybe that might help?
Thank you in advance!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14749 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SL33, first welcome to CCF. Second, well done knowing that one of the first things to do when suspecting a die clash is to generate an overlay. Matching up the details from one side to the other is key. There are multiple versions in CCF threads that you can find using the search function in the upper right hand corner of your screen.

With regard to this specific coin, I will note that most (all?) of the die clashes I have seen are primarily visible on the flat fields rather than up on any of the design elements like Abe's face. If you can post a really good close-up pic of this area, we might be able to help more. When I crop, enlarge, and enhance your pic, it is too pixelated to see what exactly is going on.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1790 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
totally with everything Spence said.

Crop your photos for us, and a nice tight close ups of question areas help us.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will add one more thing. Include a photo of the reverse. The obverse shows no other sign of a clash. That coupled with the fact the it is on a low point on the die would rule out a clash to me.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverLee33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for helping! Unfortunately all I have is a cell phone camera and the image optimizer is not agreeing with me~ Yet!
I'll have this pic dilemma worked out soon because I really want to know about this coin~ Thanks again!
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverLee33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my attempt at trying to downsize, copy, save and download some different angles of my coin~ I hope this helps! Thanks again

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14749 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes those pics are much better thanks. I'm still thinking that your coin has a little circulation damage to Abe's cheek rather than a clashed die.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverLee33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for taking another look Spence! I've been reading this forum for months trying to educate myself as much as I can~ so, I take your opinion seriously and appreciate the help.
I've grown quite fond of this coin now because of all of the pics I had to take and the mistakes I had while learning how to post it~ I'll keep it and put it in my strange coin jar!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05