Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Coins Korea And China Square Hole Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  10:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

I cant identity these two coins. They are 24 and 22mm diameter. Thanks for your help.

Learn More...
United States
15496 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dman, using my handy-dandy coinoscope app, I'm pretty sure that the righthand coin is from Vietnam. Here is a numista link to a similar-looking coin.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces47337.html
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arok to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The left one is from Korea.
Based on the information provided at
http://primaltrek.com/koreancoins.html
I would call it as produced by Military Training Command at
This article also explains the meaning of the other two characters.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence for the help. I download the Coinoscope app and it really surprised how well it worked!

Thanks Arok for your help as well. I was not seeing much online about Korean coins. The link you provided was very informative!
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
329 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would call it as produced by Military Training Command at

This is correct except for the date. Dang Il Jeon (AKA 1 Mun) cash coins minted by the Military Training Command started in 1828. This is according to Korean numismatic sources here in Korea. Not sure why Primaltrek has it at 1857, but its incorrect. There are different years per the face value of the coin, but this one (a 1 Mun) was minted starting in 1828. It has a value of about $1~$3 nowadays.

Also note that they began minted them there at 1828, but these coins were produced well into the 1880s, so it could be a little older.

As for the Chinese coin it looks to be Song Dynasty? The characters seem to read Sheng Yuan Tong Boa, but I can't seem to find it in picture form.
Edited by Lembafc
02/17/2020 10:41 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05