Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Your Numismatic Goals For 2020.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  6:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought it might be interesting for the members here to tell us about their 'Numismatic' objectives for 2020...

Personally my aims are....
Not in order of priority, I'm on a tight budget and I've made my list as long and diverse as possible in the hope I might be able to achieve some of them!

Firstly some Roman silver....These 3 are at the top of my list as I own none!

1..Lucius Verus Denarius...I've been trying to pick up a nice one of his for almost 6 months and just keep
getting pipped at the post!...So I'll try harder this year....

2..Trajan Decius (Dacia) Antoninianus...There's just something about the simplicity of the reverse that I
like.....

3..Elagabalus Denarius...This one should be easy to acquire just didn't look for one last year.

4..Kashmir Hindu set...Carry on upgrading and try to add 'ONE' of the really rare rulers if they actually
appear!.....

5..Kashmir Muslim set...Continue picking up some of the odd rulers I've yet to find and try to link these as
chronologically close as possible to the hindu set.

6..Antoninus Pius big and small set....Still need to add a big Drachm and a nice Dupondius....

7..Marcus Aurelius big and small set...Need a lot but will be working on this over the coming year....

8..Sestertius.......Will try to add Sestertius to compliment the 5 good emperors set that I have in
Denarius, three to go... But also any others that really take my fancy....Luv em!

9..Asian.......Would like to add some more Elymais drachms, at least one nice Parthian Chalkous (I have one
I'm interested in at the moment), Sassanian rulers maybe a Vahram V, Some Gadhaiya coins and
basically any odd coin that just takes my fancy....

10..Ladies.....I'll also be on the look out for as many nice Roman Empresses as possible this year...

11..Try not to stray toooo far away from all the above, but who knows

Well this should keep me very busy this year and would love to hear other collectors GOALS for this coming year....Look forward to hearing your replies......Paul
Edited by Palouche
01/23/2020 6:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4450 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got my fingers in so many "pots" that I keep jumping around as thoughts occur to me.
I need to prioritize/organize my interest areas.
A few are complete so I can set them aside.
A few are as complete as I can reasonably expect (missing VERY pricey keys).
I need to list my interest areas and then order them from most to least.

After that I can the start the hunt for specific items to complete (or as nearly as reasonable) the collections.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
22819 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't been actively been collecting for more than a year now, been working on other interests. So my first goal will be to get back into the hobby again.

I would like to working on building my collection of Indo-Greek coinage.

To add to my collection of Sasanian drachms.

To add to my English hammered collection.

To add to my Crusader coinage to include coins from medieval France.

Tomadd to my Cilician Armenia collection.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1774 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been meaning to rationalise my collection and sell some of my duplicates but I've been putting this off for years.

So my goals are:
1. Sell at least 12 of my duplicate coins.

2. Encourage younger members of my family to start collecting coins.

3. Set up a numismatic society/coin club in south-east Scotland.

4. Continue to provide free valuation of coins for UK charities.

5. (added 25 Jan 20) Try to answer at least one of the 'Unanswered' queries on CCF each week.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Edited by Pertinax
01/24/2020 7:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
612 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, that is an impressive list. Good Luck.

1. My major goal is to finish photographing and cataloging my coins.
I've been doing this on a spreadsheet:
1. Description with pic 2. how much I paid 2. Estimated worth

Quote:
Sell at least 12 of my duplicate coins.
Yes - let go of some duplicates so I won't feel guilty buying more

3. Main emperors I'm looking for are: Caracalla, Carus, Carinus, Numerian, Volusian. But of coarse, I' malways treasure hunting for great deal.
Learn More...
United States
14780 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 2020, I'm still chipping away on my OFEY collection, but unabashedly adding interesting coins from the 5th to 14th Centuries. Picking up a 1491-dated coin would be a huge win for me. That dude has been on my wish-list for a looong time.

I'm also doing a little more research on letterforms for the upcoming Koinon III journal.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
4712 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...more research on letterforms for the upcoming Koinon III journal.

Very nice to read this. Another collaboration with Marina?

Interesting to read everyone's numismatic goals, above. My own is quite simple, to find more of a balance between the artifacts (weapons) and coins this year. Last year the coin collecting took a back seat. I'll see if I can manage something close to a 50-50 split this year. At least that's the plan.
Edited by Bob L
01/23/2020 11:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1722 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I set out to trim down my collection. This will involve trimming off a lot of the coins I bought when I was starting collecting ancients before I acquired some focus.

I set out to try and remain focused on my collecting areas and to not get distracted. I have already failed on this front as I have bought a mixed lot of coins, none of which have any bearing on my focus areas.

Seems like another collecting chaos year for me.
Learn More...
United States
14780 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bob, nope going solo this time as my previous research assistant is busy with other matters.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
22819 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob I hope to achieve that same balance with my coins and Japanese prints.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2968 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am also working on a (narrower) OFEY, while trying to stay within my current collecting themes of Kingdom of Poland, Duchies of Brabant and Lorraine, and images of saints (I stretched into Pomerania late last year to make some dates in the 1490s more accessible). That means I am filling in a small number of years for Poland post 1507, and dates between 1474 and 1506 (many gaps) using the other themes. Along the way, if I see something that fills a missing reign or type in my Brabant or Lorraine collections, I will consider it. Sorry gang, no ancients for me

In January I have filled 1499 (posted yesterday on the World Coins/German States thread), and 1501 without making too serious a dent in my wallet. I doubt I'll have such luck every month.
Edited by tdziemia
01/24/2020 11:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5808 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun goals!

My top priority for 2020 is to slow down on acquisitions and try to focus both on my threads and a presentation for my collection in a "spark joy" manner. I'm hoping to find time to take the write ups for my Portraits of Power thread, supplement them with pictures, and use those in my album between the pages of coins.

Also hoping to finish my thread series for Rome, Japan, and maybe get through all of Track 1 for Indo Sassanian.

I have mostly stopped acquiring coins that dont fall under either my Indo Sassanians, or Roman sets.

Indo Sassanians - It's impossible to tell what may come to market because the dynamic is almost always hoard -> finder -> wholesaler -> dealer, so it could be six months of one series then a week of another, then two months of another, and so on... regardless, I know a good purchase when I see one.

Romans, I'm hoping to add:
- Pescennius Niger (already won one, just waiting on the snail mail... in case any of you were wondering why the PoP thread has stalled!)
- Claudius AR cistophorus, they don't come cheap and will require some budgeting
- Augustus, AR cistophorus or a nice denarius, preferably not the Gaius and Lucius type.
- Maybe a coin or two from the First or Second Triumvirate - I eventually hope to have a set of Imperators/dictators from Sulla through Antony/Octavian but that's not a 2020 goal!
- I'll continue the hunt for those elusive and rare late rulers, but also not really holding my breath.

Other than that, my goal is to sell off some of my unsold stock from last year, cutting losses where need be, and make better and more profitable buys to flip this year.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7545 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2020 Goals for my pre-1600 subcollections:

1) Keep adding years to the OFEY subcollection, especially missing ones from 1460-1499.

2) Replace any especially bad coins from the OFEY lineup. (These are usually in the 1600s and 1700s, though.)

3) I wouldn't object to having a Janus-head denarius (or quadrigatus).

4) Work on the OFEC/OFEI sub collection -- some of the missing issuers are ancient or medieval.

5) Other (post-1600) goals
Valued Member
United Kingdom
158 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 2020 my major goals are:

1) Stop buying random coins just because they look interesting.

2) Get all the information on the coins together and entered into the spreadsheets, so I can keep track of them!

3) Try to get all coins photographed and entered into a database for the reason above.

Wish me luck!
Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great reading through all the posts....Thanks...

I wonder how many of us will be able to tick some off our lists this year.

Really nice to hear Ron and Bob will be purchasing some coins this year, look forward to seeing some.

Looks like a lot of people want to organise their collections..Lots of work but really rewarding when completed!

@Spence..Good luck with your next article..

Quote:
Other than that, my goal is to sell off some of my unsold stock from last year

hmmm interesting

I hope all goes well for everyone in the coming year....Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
612 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've already gone off and bought a coin on whim and no it wasn't planned or on my goals list . I'll be posting it shortly.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05