Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possibly A 1972 DDO Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  10:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add icollect45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

Hope you all had an amazing day!

Well, I decided to search a few of my pennies that I received today, and I had 4 "1972" pennies, and this one stood out by far!

The lettering and date seems to be much thicker compared to the other 3 I have and looks a bit shifted (clockwise)

The problem is, they are 9 different types of DDO for this year, and I am guessing it is possibly one of the last 3.

Does anyone know about the 1972 DDO coins? If so, would love to hear from you!

I tried my best to take the high quality photos, please let me know if any other photos are needed.

Thanks in advance!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
32015 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Photos need to be much better. What are you using to take pics? With these pics I see no DDO.1972 is known for master die doubling,maybe that is what you are seeing? Let us know your set up,camera-lighting etc.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42331 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The glare is hiding what you are seeing on the devices. Keep this one safe until you are able to get better images.

If it is master die doubling, (I think that is what your are seeing because of the affected devices are in those locations that you took images of:

If those devices look like this, then it is Master die doubling.

But I'm leaning more towards a different real doubled die because of what I can see on the '9' on the date. But if it is Master die doubling, it is very common affecting 50% of all cents that year from all three mints.

But cut the glare and then we will know more about your coin.

Is this what you are seeing:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/24/2020 1:12 pm
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add icollect45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all,

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post.

Unfortunately, the photos I've taken are horrible! Good news is I should be using a magnifier first thing tomorrow and will make sure to submit much better photos.

For now, this is another photo I've taken of the date, a bit better quality, but tomorrow photos will be much more clear to see.

Thanks again!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32015 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We will need to see close ups ot IGWT and LIBERTY as well.
John1
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add icollect45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey John,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I tried doing so just now, unfortunately the photos were bad (just as the original photos taken).

I will make sure to do so with the magnifier tomorrow and will make sure to take photos of the entire obverse.

Thanks again.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add icollect45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Saturday, everyone.

Here are more photos. hoping these are better to see.

Please let me know if anything else is needed.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent pics there! Clearly shows the master die doubling so can't be any of the first 8 DDO dies, and likely just a normal coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32015 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New pics are much better,what did you use? All I am seeing is the common master die doubling,sorry.
John1
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add icollect45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone!

I agree John1!

The original photos, I thought I seen overall thickness on the date and lettering, but after submitting the new photos with my new magnifier, I seen something different, which was master die doubling.

Thanks again!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05