Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

High Grade Meaning And Ebay

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Lebanon
150 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  11:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
what does a high grade stand for? and how to know if a seller is trustworthy ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1924-Leban...40a0%7Ciid:1
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BananaBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look to the right-hand side of the screen, there is a seller feedback rating. This one has 100%, so I think you should be fine. High grade means coins with little to no wear. This coin looks uncirculated to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9160 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High Grade in the title of a raw coin listed on ebay means absolutely nothing. Here are the sold listings from this seller that contained "High Grade" in the title. Not many that I would consider as such in my opinion...https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ss..._sacat=11116
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't consider "high grade" to be a term of art like good or fine or uncirculated. So high grade could mean one thing to one person and something else to others. I'm sure my grade for high grade is different from yours and may even change depending on the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16242 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The meaning of "high grade" is variable. In some cases it could mean the high end of the Sheldon scale, it could just meen "uncirculated", but it could also just mean a higher grade than is normally seen. In the early copper I collect for some varieties a "high grade" could be a VF coin or less. I have an 1800 S-201 cent in VG-8. Believe it or not it would be considered a "high grade" coin. There are less than 10 pieces known in better condition. The two best pieces are a VF-20 and a F-15. Most known coins grade G-6 or lower.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4263 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with others, "high grade" is not a defined grade and does vary from coin to coin. In my experience, when an honest dealer has used the term, it was in reference to a higher level of detail remaining on the coin vs. what is most often encountered.

Regarding the coin in question, it does appear to have good detail remaining on both of its sides. Comparing it to others currently offered on eBay, it has a terrific level of detail for the asking price. The seller does appear trustworthy and does accept returns. I'm not familiar with the coin, however, so you will need to judge whether it is a reasonable offering.

Valued Member
Lebanon
150 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for your help!
Valued Member
Lebanon
150 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
by comparison to PCGS https://www.PCGS.com/valueview/leba...174338&h=pop

what grade will it get?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2969 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the earlier comment that "high grade" in an eBay listing means nothing. And as pointed out by another poster, this seller's use of the term is also variable.

If I look at that PCGS link, the MS64 seems to have just a little weakness on the cedar tree mid-way up on the right. So maybe this is the highest spot in the design?

The obverse photo of the eBay coin seem to show very sharp detail all over the tree, maybe just a little weakness in the same place as the MS64. So I agree with at least one other opinion that this coin would get a grade in the MS range.

But there are others out here who are better at these judgements, so hopefully someone else will look and give an opinion.

Edited by tdziemia
02/01/2020 08:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19070 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High grade on ebay is like that famous word Unsearched. On ebay nothing is real and nothing can be counted on. From where your at I'd pass since returning may be impossible.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could say coins grade low, medium and high.

Break the 70 point scale down:

0 to 23 = LOW
24 to 47 = MEDIUM
48 to 70 = HIGH

Means absolutely nothing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2969 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Confession:
I, too, have used this term in my eBay listings when either
a) I want to call attention to my coin being in a higher grade than the others for sale at the time,
or
b) I feel the coin doesn't justify being called UNC, but it would likely grade the EF - AU range.
I think that's consistent with some of the comments upthread.

Sure, it's a gimmick to try and get someone to look at your coin and not someone else's. But if you don't abuse it, I think it's neither dishonest, nor that it affects your reputation as a seller (I've never had something come back because I labelled it as such, and the buyer disagreed).

I would expect an early 20th century coin called "high grade" by its seller to be at least in the EF range, and this coin easily met that hurdle.
Edited by tdziemia
02/01/2020 1:46 pm
Valued Member
Lebanon
150 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ve contacted the seller and asked him what he means by high grade and if it is an uncirculated coin. He responded by saying that the coin appears to be uncirculated for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2969 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you got a beautiful coin for the price.

From your other posts, it looks like you are making good progress on assembling a collection of high grade, early Lebanon coins?
Edited by tdziemia
02/01/2020 4:37 pm
Valued Member
Lebanon
150 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia exactly I'm currently collecting early Lebanon coins in high grade
thank you for your help !!
Valued Member
Lebanon
150 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was delivered today what do you think about its condition?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05