Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Did I Just Buy A Fake PCGS Coin? 2019-P Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,032Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  08:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mojo423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

I just won this coin on eBay. I paid about $10 which seems way to low. It's a 2019 P America Memorial quarter. I noticed after the auction the PCGS site doesn't have a price listed for MS 67 on the quarter.

*** Edited by Staff to crop and/or rotate images. Please crop and correctly orient images before uploading. This can be done with most built in software on phones and MS Paint on most PCs. You can also use the free image optimizer. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13429 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you look up the registration # ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
7233 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks real.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33620 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mojo423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was putting in the entire number. Thanks everyone.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's real
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
985 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's real. They probably just hadn't updated the population report to reflect it yet. I think it's a good buy for $10.
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. isn't that about 1/2 the price of just having it graded, ignoring the coin's value entirely? Anyone know how this would play out? Or am I seriously misreading how the fees for grading work?
Sorry to hijack, just curious as to how the math works there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
985 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jonnin. People lose on grading all the time when they go to sell. Making $10 off it is likely better to that person than it sitting and making nothing on it.

Also depends on membership level, they could just be counting it as one of the free submissions with their annual fee.

Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks,
I had been wondering how / why so many < $30 coins are being sold graded at a loss. I guess I am not ready for that level of dedication
Pillar of the Community
United States
1003 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of people do bulk submissions with modern coins. Usually the 68s and higher are kept and 67s and lower become "freebies".

Usually this is done with the ASEs but it can be done on other modern coins.
Retired collector.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3394 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Play with the economics... and remember big dealers get better rates...

https://www.PCGS.com/services/bulksubmissions

Quote:
With Bulk Submissions, you may indicate one (1) minimum grade on your submission form. PCGS will holder any coins that meet or exceed the requested minimum grade. No minimum MS or PR 70 submissions will be accepted. If you will accept any grade, please indicate that on the submission form. If no minimum is requested, all coins will be graded. Genuine Services (Genuine with Details and Genuine no Details) are not available on Bulk submissions. Below is the current pricing for orders with a minimum grade listed:

If 60% of the coins submitted meet or exceed the minimum grade, each holdered coin will be charged $12. The coins that do not meet your minimum grade will be returned to you unholdered with no charge.
If less than 60% of the coins submitted meet or exceed the minimum grade, each holdered coin will be charged $12 while the unholdered coins will be charged $5 each.

Take the Frederick Douglas 2017P PCGS#625520

Population is
2 MS64 (price guide $4)
39 MS65 ($5)
163 MS66 ($7)
1 MS66+ ($8)
12 MS67 ($23)
1 MS67+ ($40)
1 MS68 ($750)

Based on that, let's submit a bag of 100 coins.

If you pick a minimum grade of MS67, you get 37% and pay the higher fee... 37*12+63*5 = $759 plus your $119 cost for the bag...

And you can sell them for $440 plus 63 spendable quarters for a total loss of $419.25.

If you pick a minimum grade of MS66 or MS65, you pay a lot more in slabbing costs, but don't incur the penalty $5 charge. Still it's a net loss of $365.75 or $452.75

If you luck out and score that 2nd MS68, you make money... but if it was easy, everyone would do it.

-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,032Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05