Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998, 5 Cents - Double Beaver Head

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  1:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, I was wundering if someone can help me identify what kind of doubling is it and how come the beaver's moustach are not doubled? Thank you.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16457 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting reverse.

Queen seems to have a mustache, and with heavy eyebrows, looks rather angry.
Learn More...
Canada
8844 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny you should post this... I had a coin dealer (Richard from Le30Sou) ask me about this same thing...

It is a real puzzle... Although Machine Doubling is quirky, and often can be confined to regions of a given coin, my thought is this cannot be machine doubling. I am thinking that this has to be from the sinking of the die, and not the strike, because the whiskers are deeper recessed in the die, and fully struck. But - if that was the case, there would be thousands of 5c with this feature out there.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although the whiskers seems continuous, they are not.

The working die bounced, flattening the beaver's head and leaving an imprint of the whiskers.

On the image below, I color coded the base of the whiskers showing where it landed after the bounce.

Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Intresting numidan, but if bouncing, the die would be double elsewhere on the die no?

For SPP-Ottawa : Yes I shown the pictures to Richard and told me he was seeing you this evening and would ask your opinion.
Edited by Castor sous
02/12/2020 12:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling CAN occur on just certain spots/regions on the coin. Since machine/mechanical/strike doubling (it's called by all three names) occurs in the nanoseconds after the die hits the planchet and slightly moves/rotates, the die tends to mainly strike the design areas that are highest in relief. If the whiskers were the deepest recess on the die, with the resulting highest relief on the coin, then that's where it will show. Sometimes it can occur on ALL parts of the coin, sometimes only partial. On US cents, many time you see just the mintmark with MD and the rest of the coin, no problem ... since the mintmark is the highest relief and easiest to, essentially, be slightly spread in the direction of the movement.
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks okiecoiner for the explanation.

Quote "Intresting numidan, but if bouncing, the die would be double elsewhere on the die no?"

Hard to see but the leaf on the left seems to have an indication of MD.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In MD, the die doesn't usually "bounce" ... it ever so slightly rotates as the die is coming up off the coin. That's what essentially smudges the design element slightly of to one side. Once someone on the mint floor tightens the screws/adjustments, the movement stops.
Valued Member
Canada
217 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickle nubber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And this kind of info and insite is why this site is so great
Learn More...
Canada
8844 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes I shown the pictures to Richard and told me he was seeing you this evening and would ask your opinion.

No coins were discussed. Instead, I introduced Richard to my single malt whisky collection... it was a nice evening!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05