Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New To The Hobby As Well As This Forum And Site. I Have A Lot Of Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 736Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  6:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DCD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is the coin that I'm questioning about. Obviously. It's a 1967 that's not hard to figure out but this stamping on the reverse or whatever it might be something in between the planchette. I need help identifying. Maybe it's something new. By the way, my name is Don Davis. And I've collected stuff for years. Just now seeing what I have. If anything and let me in in advance say thank you all for taking the time to help me figure this out. I'm also going to post 1904 cent that. I'm having trouble identifying. What it might be?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4355 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF! It's a little hard to make out but looks as if it may be a lamentation issue.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the same at first, however. If you look to the left of that raised area and it is raised by the way. It does not come off the plant. And on the left there under the end. I think it is. You can see another part of the strike that's raised up. I think like I said, I'm looking for expert opinion here.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46242 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. It is a lamination issue. How can we tell? Laminations most often flow in a straight line. The coin should be a bit short of 3.11 grams if some of the lamination has peeled off. If not, then it should be in that range.

If the coin is a bit heavier, then I would wonder if this was a struck through debris issue. But because the area in question is fairly straight, then I feel it is a lamination issue.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35611 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree lamination. In future posts,please remove coins from 2x2. Post obverse and reverse along with any needed close ups.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oprah clarification is absolutely 311 8 I think it is and it is definitely a raised area not a recessed different layer of coin. And I'm definitely not arguing with you. Just trying to clarify the description. Personally in looking at it but not being really experienced when I Expected it closely. The area is absolutely raised at one point. I thought an edge you could actually see under it, but you can't it's something underneath it looks like I saved a photo of a similar. Coin let me post it. In comparison to mine and maybe it would help identify it. I'm also going to be posting here shortly a 1904 Indian head that on the reverse side Has an issue that I haven't been able to find. Thank you all for your input.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46242 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well on the devices on ONE? It looks like it has peeled off from that area? It may have peeled off the area I mention and folded over on top of the building, still attached to the coin on that area.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think everybody for their input. Because I don't know in your guy's opinion. Is this the type of coin that I should spend the money to have it graded? Because if these are marketable, I do want to be able to sell them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46242 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. These would have a value in the about one dollar range. It would cost you up to 50X that much to have them graded. Not worth it.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, this is the one that I saw online that looks similar to mine.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4355 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you're seeing in you cent is nothing like the pic you just posted. For what you're seeing on your cent to be double struck like the one in the pic you just posted the Memorial would have to be centered. Your cent shows no centering of what you're seeing. Lamination doesn't always lays flat, the edges can raise up over time from circulation.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must have been faint in my description of this coin that little squared area that is depicted has no openings on it whatsoever. It absolutely looks like there is something underneath it. But maintains the same pattern as the other but it's in that square pattern, but it is fully stamped onto that coin. It's not something that's coming loose. The pictures might not show it justice. I can see if I have some others. I'm not saying that there's not something underneath it raising it up, but it clearly is stamped through the Lincoln Memorial through the edges of it with no. There's no interior exposure on that coin or else there would be massive Rod rust or whatever anyway I think what you're seeing is just highlights on some of the edges as it rolls over the design. And I do believe if you look at the obverse in that area. There is some discoloring probably from a heat. Love a broken or some type of a stamp error. Then this is just kind of trying to use my understanding of stamping which is probably a lot less than what you guys have. So again, I appreciate your responses. Most importantly the one that said don't grade that coin because it's only worth a dollar or two.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope I'm not just being a young enthusiasts but I remember now if you look at the the highlighted raised area if you go all the way along that to the left and to the right to the edges of the coin. You will see also a faint line that hasn't formed fully yet. That's the whole size of the Lincoln Memorial. Which is kind of odd. My girlfriend had pointed that out to me and you can see the line starting to form away from the raised area that is prominent at this point. I forgot to mention that my description and I thought that might have been one of the reasons. I thought it was. Suitable for die or whatever.
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whew! That was a lot to take in!

@DCD- I've come to find out that these guys are 99.9% correct with their diagnosis of a coins issues. At least in my case anyway.

Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others, just a lamination error, definitely not double struck. Also,
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 736Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05